Given a Honley Oliver 110cc :)

Soldato
Hi all.

Not ridden a motorbike for a 2 years due to health reasons and bike being heavy for me to support.
I have been given a Honley Oliver 110cc scooter from my girlfriends dad :D

I know china stuff not great but I will get my own pictures soon but it looks like this.
s-l1600.jpg

Only done 400 miles and the guy who had it before passed away from health reasons.

I only need new battery as the one that was with it gone bad from being unused I think.

Anyone have any information about this scooter or advice ?
Thank you.

Caporegime
Get it inside immediately! In this weather it'll likely rot and rust before your very eyes!

Then sell it.

Have to agree with this sadly. Depending on what your intentions with it are, this is the best advice. If it's a sunny weather only toy then keep it in a garage and keep it dry. Once those Chinese bikes get wet, they start rusting immediately. And whilst this might not seem like the biggest issue, try replacing components when the bolt heads break off or round off. When the allen bolts round out. When the springs break, leaving the centre stand / side stand / clutch unusable. The wiring will corrode and you'll spend hours looking for earth faults.

If you need a commuter, sell it and buy something else. For a toy to mess around on whilst keeping it dry, you can't go wrong.

Also, @Clov!s is a bender, ignore him ;)

Caporegime
Tbh I'd say just enjoy the thing until it breaks. Fix what you can, keep it going (you'll learn loads about fixing stuff too) and bin it when the time comes or sell it to @3 minutes for a grand when it's red dust.

Caporegime
They're not bad bikes tbh, the quality just lacks. As long as you give it extra TLC it'll be fine. Buy some ACF50 and cover every metal part you can find in the stuff with it. If you have a means of getting cheap stainless bolts, then get some and replace what you can. It's the fixings that are the killers on Chinese bikes.

Soldato
OP
Thanks I will get some of that stuff and see what bolts I can replace.
I will check the brakes and all the rets of it when I get the bike to my house :D

Cheers.

Soldato
My advice would be to put some decent branded tyres on.

My Chinese bike was terrifying in damp or slippy conditions because of the tyres it came with. Put Michelin's on and it fixed it. Other than that it was good fun actually (Sinnis Apache 125).

Associate
Have to agree with this sadly. Depending on what your intentions with it are, this is the best advice. If it's a sunny weather only toy then keep it in a garage and keep it dry. Once those Chinese bikes get wet, they start rusting immediately. And whilst this might not seem like the biggest issue, try replacing components when the bolt heads break off or round off. When the allen bolts round out. When the springs break, leaving the centre stand / side stand / clutch unusable. The wiring will corrode and you'll spend hours looking for earth faults.

If you need a commuter, sell it and buy something else. For a toy to mess around on whilst keeping it dry, you can't go wrong.

Also, @Clov!s is a bender, ignore him ;)

Most bikes rust if you leave them out in the wet my drz400 has rust all over from me leaving it out in the rain.. the common misconception is branded bikes are unbelievably superior these days is bs.. obviously you get what you pay for but people saying sell a bike just because it's Chinese is aload of rubbish now.. suzuki Yamaha triumph all use ******* stainless but people think because it's stainless it means it won't rust and pit but they still do..

Soldato
Most bikes rust if you leave them out in the wet my drz400 has rust all over from me leaving it out in the rain.. the common misconception is branded bikes are unbelievably superior these days is bs.. obviously you get what you pay for but people saying sell a bike just because it's Chinese is aload of rubbish now.. suzuki Yamaha triumph all use ******* stainless but people think because it's stainless it means it won't rust and pit but they still do..

Accepting that it is ok that it'll rust to death because other manufacturers use the same material and they'll rust to death is hardly an endorsement to suggest keeping it!

Caporegime

That stainless is still leagues ahead of the ferrous crap the Chinese use.

I agree that they're improving but be under no illusion that they're built to last. They're not.

Soldato
OP
Well it's insured now and picking it up today.

I know the left indicator not working already hahaha.
Try and fix that tomorrow.

----------------------------------------------
Indicator just need new bulb so that was easy lol.

The other thing I'm trying work out is how to mount my luggage box.
I had a look online and I can't see any mounts I could use for a universal mounting option.
bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

My box is about this size.
topbox.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom