Glasses wearers

Associate
Get contact lenses. After glasses theyre like going from 10" CRT to 35" TFT ;)

I reckon ill change to contacts next year, glasses are really starting to annoy me. I've worn them pretty much all the time for the last 5 years and it gets pretty annoying looking through a small window in front of your eyes rather than getting a full clear view. How long does it take to get used to wearing contacts?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
It's the $$$ to be honest, the £25 here and there for the sight tests, then the contact lens checkups for the contacts I don't wear that much, then the cost of the glasses starts to clock up after a while. I don't have time to keep mucking about at opticians like that. A fresh sight test and a new pair of specs is going to be close to £200 only to find out if I get on with them or not.

Associate
That's what i thought when i got my glasses for reading the board at school :p

To be precise "Omg it's like hd"
:D I had that exact thought when I swapped recently.

It normally takes a few hours to get used to the lenses, but the frames have taken some getting used with the last couple of pairs I've had.

I had a pair of rimless glasses, which were great apart from the fact that the bridge was screwed to the lenses in an annoying position. Didn't notice when I was trying them out, but it was obvious after an hour or so. After a few days I stopped noticing them usually.

I got a new pair a few weeks ago - Oakleys which wrap around and clamp to the side of my head rather than hook over my ears. Seemed fine at first but by the end of the day I had really sore dents in the side of my head! :eek: That gradually subsided and after about 2 weeks they were painless. Still got the divots though! Oh, and my eyelashes brush the lenses if I push them on too far. There's no way they're falling off though!

Associate
How long does it take to get used to wearing contacts?

Well there's not really any physical presence that you need to get used to because you can't feel them once inside. The main thing people struggle with is actually putting the things in your eye. Its pretty straight forward once you get used to not flinching lol. I couldn't do it at first and had to make another appointment. Best thing is to listen to the optician dude but try and get them in yourself. Sometimes they will try an stick em in for you which jus didnt work for me.
After a few weeks you'll get used to putting them in and after that it just becomes second nature really.

Associate
OP
I'd rather have the 10" CRT that I can look at, rather than the 35" TFT that pokes me in the eye in the morning :p.

If you think you've got something 35" trying to poke you in the eye first thing in the morning, then i think you either very lucky or your prescription is far too strong

Soldato
takes a while for me to adjust to new lenses, how long this takes depends just how much my prescription has been increased....next one will be big, i havent been in 1 1/2 years. may also have to fork out for lenses that are thinned aswell, as my current ones are thick enough around the edges, stronger ones are just going to be mad :(

i can only hope one day soon my eyes stabilise so i can get the damn things zapped

Associate
OP
takes a while for me to adjust to new lenses, how long this takes depends just how much my prescription has been increased....next one will be big, i havent been in 1 1/2 years. may also have to fork out for lenses that are thinned aswell, as my current ones are thick enough around the edges, stronger ones are just going to be mad :(

i can only hope one day soon my eyes stabilise so i can get the damn things zapped

It starts to get expensive when you go for a high index lens, i have gone from a 1.67 to a 1.74 frames and lenses were £340 my prescription has not really changed much in 35 years, my opticians has my records since i was 5.

Soldato
It starts to get expensive when you go for a high index lens, i have gone from a 1.67 to a 1.74 frames and lenses were £340 my prescription has not really changed much in 35 years, my opticians has my records since i was 5.

I remember my last set cost around that much.. :( Roll on the laser surgery one day!

For some reason my last pair took me nearly a week to get used to properly, before those, I found I could get used to them fairly quickly.

Man of Honour

My last lenses were £230, a couple of years ago, but I got them with barter. I did some work on the optometrist's network and they paid me in glasses. A very generous man - the work I did was only worth perhaps £50.

From what you've said, I think you should consider polycarbonate lenses (if you don't already have them). The weight saving is considerable with stronger lenses and they're very tough. They'll stop a low-end bullet or, more usefully, gravel flung up from a vehicle. I have found that they seem to attract more dust than glass lenses, though. I had to move to polycarbonate - glass would have been too heavy and plastic lenses weren't available in the prescription I needed.

Forget fashion frames, too. The current fashion is for narrow lenses, about a quarter of the surface area of unfashionable glasses. I'd rather be able to see better than match the current fashion, so my frames were £10 from the "fashionable last year" drawer.

There's a place near me that will do polycarbonate lenses for £55 if you have a prescription. Not really an opticians - they have neither the staff nor the equipment for eye tests - but that will save me £200 or more.

Soldato
My glasses normally cost £300-400 but as my prescription is fairly stable I do not have to change them very often. The last time I got a new pair though i found that after a week I was still not used to them and it turned out a measurement had BEng taken incorrectly and hence the lenses were wrong. New lenses fixed this and I was used to them in a couple of days.

Soldato
It took me ages to get used to my first pair of rimless ones, think they were Police and i really liked them before my baby broke them. Have some Ted Baker ones now with some pretty chunky arms which again took a while to get used too.

Soldato
Last time I got some was funny, they were a slightly different lens and I straight away walked into the shop door, fell off the kurb and then walked around the town knocking various items accidentally off the shelves. Needless to say I am still wearing the same glasses about 2 years later, with bent arms and they really need to be replaced.

Caporegime
It took me ages to get used to the ones I am wearing now. It wasn't so much the prescription as it was quite stable the last few pairs i've got. But it was the design, the frame is different so the way the lens curve is slightly different and that took a little getting used to. I ended up using the old pair for a few hours and then the new ones a few hours and eventually just the new pair.

Soldato
I'd rather have the 10" CRT that I can look at, rather than the 35" TFT that pokes me in the eye in the morning :p.

Ive always considered my contacts a step down for my vision but a handful of steps up for ease of use

but then i have a complicated prescription and the contact lenses dont deal with it as perfectly as glasses can

Soldato
Contact lenses F T W!

I'd worn glasses for ~10 years, then decided one day to try contacts. I'm on the monthly ones - that you put in, and can wear for up to a month, including sleeping etc, and they're an absolute god-send (although I do tend to take them out one night a week just to give my eyes a rest).

To be able to lay in bed and watch TV without glasses digging into the side of your head, and the pads digging into your nose is so nice! Also being able to get up in the morning and being able to see perfectly is awesome.

I was one of the "I'm never going to wear contact lenses" people, if I had an eyelash in my eye, it was "OMG END OF THE WORLD!!" for me - now it's a doddle to put the lenses in, and I forget I've got them in most of the time.

Yes, it's £15 per month, and I still occasionally need to wear my glasses - but the additional cost is well worth the sheer convenience of not having to wear glasses for 99% of the time.

Caporegime
I've worn glasses for 15 years, and first started contacts in 2006.

Just dailies, and only for special occasions or clubbing.

I actually like the look of my glasses, they are almost a part of who I am.

I'll prolly get non-lensed glasses when I eventually get my eyes lasered, hehe

As for new lenses upping the res or moving to hd... I find it is more like turning on 8x AA ;)

Associate
My glasses are the best pair I could find that were suited to me and were comfortable, but I still hate glasses. Luckily I currently only need to wear them when driving or watching films etc, otherwise I use them as little as possible.

Back
Top Bottom