[Gnome] Desktop customisation for n00bs

Associate
I know purists will probably flame me for trying to “Windows-ize” it already, but how do I go about removing the Trash Can from the panel at the bottom of the screen and making an icon of it on the desktop? Having been browsing the Linux desktops thread earlier, I noticed quite a lot of the screens are showing this. Does it require installation of an extra package or am I just too dumb to find it?

Come to mention it, my desktop is devoid of icons altogether - have been unable to find an equivalent to 'Create Shortcut' so far ...

I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 with Gnome 2.18.1 if that's any help :)

Associate
OP
Cheers for that - although it's greyed out when I try and make a shortcut to my 'home' folder to place on the desktop ... never mind.

Any ideas how I go about getting a Trash/Wastebasket on the desktop rather than in the bottom panel?

Associate
OP
punky_munky said:
$ gconf-editor

apps/nautilus/desktop

maybe there's a less long winded way...
That's worked fine and was also my first experience using the command line :eek:

That was the only aspect of it that you could say was long-winded ... the fact that I had to use a CLI to access the editor rather than selecting an icon from a menu, but even so, not exactly a hardship ...

Either way, have just made a launcher icon for it on the desktop for future use :cool:

Cheers dude :)

Associate
Using the CLI is faster than moving the mouse through countless menus and finding the right app ;)

But that's just my opinion...

Associate
OP
Cake said:
Using the CLI is faster than moving the mouse through countless menus and finding the right app ;)

But that's just my opinion...
I know that now yeah :) - but as a total n00b I'd never touched the CLI before and trying to find some way of achieving it via the menus had proved fruitless ... that and the fact when I'm trying something new I have a simple rule - if you don't understand it, don't **** about with it :D

Associate
Adnams Drinker said:
I know that now yeah :) - but as a total n00b I'd never touched the CLI before and trying to find some way of achieving it via the menus had proved fruitless ... that and the fact when I'm trying something new I have a simple rule - if you don't understand it, don't **** about with it :D
heh, keep using HowTOs that require you to use the CLI for long enough and you'll be a master of the command line too. Creating your own bash scripts is fun :p

Associate
OP
Cake said:
heh, keep using HowTOs that require you to use the CLI for long enough and you'll be a master of the command line too. Creating your own bash scripts is fun :p
Will have a Google later - in the meantime, do you know of any good CLI tutorials for common tasks suitable for a n00b?

I'm enjoying this - there's something about Linux that feels really raw, back to basics and hardcore that really appeals to my inner geek, without the glossy, lowest-common denominator approach of Windows :p

Associate
OP
Thanks for that :) , looks pretty thorough - will check it out in more detail over the weekend.

I do love to tinker with a computer, but only once I know (roughly) what I'm doing - I have an innate fear of blundering in and buggering things up :p ...

Back
Top Bottom