Go back to Watercooling?

Associate
After a cracked CPU block cover decided to write off one of my mobos 4 years back, I have stuck to air cooled solutions...for not wanting to repeat that.

Over the last few weeks, I have been toying with the idea of moving back to watercooling. 1 - as I want to try a wee bit of OC'ing, 2 - my new GFX card is a wee bit on the noisy side and I do like having a quiet gaming room and 3 - am bored and want something to do.

As it has been a few years since I last watercooled (and the stuff I had last time was a kit....) am completely befuddled as to what I would want.

The kit I have is in my sig and would be looking to incorporate both CPU and GPU in the loop. Case wise will be fitting it into an Antec P183 (unless I win the Corsair for my guess ;))

What would the sage and wise folks in here recommend for my needs. Budget wise, anything up to £300 goes.

Associate
OP
I may also go for another case too (extra to the ££££ for the wc).......boredom hey :rolleyes:

Been wanting to clear up the insides of current case for a while now, so may be the chance to kill all with one. Some PSU extension cables and the likes too, so can get some seriously neat cable management going on.....

Last edited:
Soldato
New case, nzxt switch 810, takes a 360+240 of any thickness no modding required. You would get away with a single 360 for a 2 component loop, so something like the xspc rx360 d5 raystorm kit would be ideal.

Soldato
New case, nzxt switch 810, takes a 360+240 of any thickness no modding required. You would get away with a single 360 for a 2 component loop, so something like the xspc rx360 d5 raystorm kit would be ideal.

+1 for the case,will fit 420 in the roof and a 240 in the bottom.
just done mine in that case.;)

Theres quite a few builds in that case on this forum to give you an idea.

Associate
OP
Case and kit both look good....but.....am not that big a fan of fancy led lighting inside my case. The case will be sat on the floor, snugged up to a desk, so you wont be able to see in through any side window in the case....so now revised fro new case with no side window and kit without any lighting / UV shenanigans

Soldato
Cant seem to find one without a window......plus seems a bit silly spending money on lights that I dont ever see and will disable.

The lights on the case are actually very handy,my case is under my desk
so if i need to connect/disconnect leads on the rear panel it makes things a lot easier if its at night.

Also there is a on/off switch for the lights on the front of the case

Associate
I've not seen a switch without a window...initially I wanted a case with no window but had to compromise to get a decent case.

I don't think it actually looks too bad, I was after a subtle case, not one of those that looks like robocop's illegitimate child, and overall the switch is not too crazy. It's a rectangular shape which is a good start :)

Associate
OP
How does this look for a basket for my needs then?

YOUR BASKET
1 x XSPC RayStorm D5 RX360 WaterCooling Kit £289.68
1 x NZXT Switch 810 Big Tower Case - Black £149.99
1 x XSPC Razor 7970 GPU Waterblock £82.99
1 x NZXT 24-Pin ATX Black Sleeved 25cm Extension Cable (CB-24P) £8.99
2 x NZXT 4-Pin Molex extension cable Black - (CB-11MLEX) £5.99 (£11.98)
3 x NZXT SATA extension cable Black - (CB-SATA-11P) £5.99 (£17.97)
1 x NZXT Front Panel connections cable set 30cm sleeved - Black £5.99
1 x NZXT 8-Pin (EPS12V) Black Sleeved 25cm Extension Cable - CB-8P (CB-8P) £5.99
Total : £590.06 (includes shipping : £13.75).

My GFX card is this one

Also (OCUK) what are stock levels like on that if i was wanting to order it and get it delivered for 03 Sep 2012?

If I do decide to go, then will do a full pics before, during and after build log and review on it.

For that, what are the 'normal' tools that get used to do temp comparisons before and after?

Last edited:
Soldato
Use core temp and or hwmonitor.

Basket looks good, remember you'll need an extra two fittings for the gpu block and some fluid, wouldn't hurt to get an extra meter of hose list incase :)

Edit: I'd also go for bitfenix extensions over nzxt, the quality difference is night and day.

Associate
OP
Forgot about the extra fittings for the GPU block, cheers.

Is there that much of a difference between the cables then? TBH, not really sure on the amount and type that I would need to order. Currently have 2 x SSD's, 1xHDD, 1xBluRay, that GFX card (iirc is 1x8 and 1x6) then what ever connections are on the mobo.

I need to find a cheaper relief to my boredom :eek:

Soldato
Haha, the nzxt cables I found have a rigid plastic feel to them where the bitfenix cables are a soft flexible fabric.

Where abouts in Aberdeen are you? If you end up stuck/short of anything have plenty of supplies and extras :p

Associate
OP
Have updated the basket

YOUR BASKET
1 x XSPC RayStorm D5 RX360 WaterCooling Kit £289.68
1 x NZXT Switch 810 Big Tower Case - Black £149.99
1 x XSPC Razor 7970 GPU Waterblock £82.99
1 x NZXT 24-Pin ATX Black Sleeved 25cm Extension Cable (CB-24P) £8.99
2 x NZXT 6+2 Pin PCI-E Black Sleeved 25cm Extension Cable (CB-8V) £7.99 (£15.98)
3 x NZXT SATA extension cable Black - (CB-SATA-11P) £5.99 (£17.97)
2 x NZXT 4-Pin Molex extension cable Black - (CB-11MLEX) £5.99 (£11.98)
1 x NZXT Front Panel connections cable set 30cm sleeved - Black £5.99
1 x NZXT 8-Pin (EPS12V) Black Sleeved 25cm Extension Cable - CB-8P (CB-8P) £5.99
2 x Mayhems Ultra Pure H20 Watercooling Fluid 1L £4.99 (£9.98)
1 x Mayhems Fine Silver Kill Coil £4.5
2 x Akasa USB 40cm Internal to External Cable (EXUSBIE-40) £3.49 (£6.98)
2 x XSPC G1/4" to 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD Compression Fitting (Black Chrome) £2.99 (£5.98)
Total : £633.49 (includes shipping : £13.75).

Decided to stick with the NZXT cables as they are showing in stock :D

Added some fluid there and also a silver coil. Is that needed or not?

Also, will the two connectors that I have added work with the GPU block?

Currently in living Westend at the end of Queens Road (Old Earls Court Hotel / Egg and Dart) and working out in the Bridge of Don.

Soldato
I would just use biocide rather than kill coil with ultra pure, or better still get premix and not worry about additives.

Work out of bod too (denmore) stay in garthdee :)

Associate
OP
Did some Googling and saw that they get chucked in the res.

Nearly committed fully a while back as was checking that I could get it delivered on 03 Sep (have been paid then and Mrs S away in London so house clear to do build), but stopped just short of pressing the magic button.

Suppose I want to make treble sure that everything that I need is on the list and is also correct before I actually buy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom