Go-to board for 5950x

Associate
I know the timing for an upgrade isn't great, but really old home-server has died so I need to upgrade the main PC and relegate the current one to server duties.

I don't upgrade very often (my current main PC is based around a Xeon x5650 :cry: ) so I'm probably going to go for high-end AM4, possibly 5950x to last me for a long time. Or I may go for something lower-end AM4 now and upgrade to a 5950x when they drop into the second-hand market at lower prices, so I want a board which will be capable of stepping up to that.

I'll probably be going for 64GB RAM - something like the Corsair vengeance lpx 3200mhz DDR4 (2x32GB).

Likely to be running everything at stock, as I won't need the extra few % from overclocking.

What would be the go-to motherboard at the moment? I'm seeing lots of warnings/issues with Gigabyte quality and service so will probably steer clear of them, despite good experiences previously.

I'm unlikely to need multiple NVME drives or be running high-end graphics so X570 is probably overkill. I'm more concerned with:
- Quality of VRMs for 5950x stability
- Support for 5950x out of the box, or at least ability to BIOS flash without a supported CPU in there already.
- Dual BIOS
- Potential support for the 3D Cache iteration coming out later this year (i.e. good BIOS updates from board manufacturer).

Any recommendations gratefully received... :) Thanks

Man of Honour
Msi x570 tomahawk Wi-Fi is one of the best value to performance motherboards which has bios flashback feature. Bios can be updated without the need for Another cpu, although the 5950x should already be supported .

Otherwise would go for the b550 Tomahawk but no Wi-Fi.

Associate
OP
Not sure whether you saw the pre-edit post but I'll definitely go for one of those Tomahawk options (but possibly not the Intel chipset one I asked about... :cry: ). Thanks for the input everyone. :D

Back
Top Bottom