Gobsmacked about the Philips Fidelio X1

Caporegime
Sorry to butt in, but the pictures of that cable look like it is a 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack cable. Is that right?

I thought that too, however it is just the image being deceptive.

Can confirm that one end has a standard size plug with a 3.5mm jack, the other end has a larger plug with a 3.5mm jack and a screw fitting for a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter (which is not included)

I have been using it for over a month with the X1's

Decent quality cable too. Especially for the price.

:)

Last edited:
Associate
Turned up today and managed to spend a few hours with them testing them out.

Agree with everything that's been said. The sound is so similar to the 598's but with much more bass. They produce a great sound and really given the similarity in price I'd absolutely choose these over the Sennheisers. Everything has more punch and they really improve music particularly.

I'd be curious to compare them to the HD 600's but to be fair those cost quite a bit more.

Although the X1's are very well built and comfortable I do find the 598's more comfortable which I think is due in part to them being lighter.

Look forward to trying these out some more and getting used to them.

photo.JPG

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Because the pads are memory foam give it some time to properly warm up and mould to your head - That's when the comfort levels rise :)

The headband is quite tight out of the box, the top band you can bend slightly to loosen the tightness no problem, this also improves comfort.

Associate
Because the pads are memory foam give it some time to properly warm up and mould to your head - That's when the comfort levels rise :)

The headband is quite tight out of the box, the top band you can bend slightly to loosen the tightness no problem, this also improves comfort.

Thank you for the suggestion. I had read a few people suggesting you can bend the headband but I haven't felt the need to do so. I think I just find the oval shape of the Sennheiser pads to be a more natural fit. Also as mentioned the X1's are heavier which impacts comfortness as well.

So even though they are comfortable, I don't personally find them as comfortable as the 598's. I find I can leave the 598's on for hours on end and not notice they are there whereas I was aware of the X1's. I appreciate some of this is that they are new and I need to get used to them.

There's obviously an element of subjectivity because I note on that original link I posted the author thinks the other way around, and the X1 receive a higher rating for comfort.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-1-9-2014-shure-srh1840-added

It's not a deal breaker and both are very comfortable headphones but I didn't necessarily expect that.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Price: £183.96 currently on Rain forest.

I think I will try a pair of open cans next also perhaps the X1s, but atm I have a dry skin problem on my ear :(

I have had it on and off for past decade, most likely since I use closed headphones like Audio technica A900s or AKG 550s, think with the AKG 550s that sealed type cans really do warm up my ears and tend to get sweaty driving to that deadly itch!

May need to use open ear phones and allow my ears to breathe and get oxygen.

Do you guys find the X1s comfortable for 3-6hrs use? no sweaty issues and plenty airflow I take it ?

And how does it sound for female vocals ?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The earpads are memory foam wrapped in velour so no problems with heat/moisture etc unless you physically leak on your head :p

Depending on your source, male and female vocals sound outstanding. Rich and warm is one way to describe it output from my DAC's headphone amp. I listen to acoustic and this was one area that Sennheiser does really well. The X1 is more like that but with extra warmth and sound stage.

Associate
Some interesting info about headphones in this thread.
I just recently got my self a set of Sennheiser PC350SE (I need closed back so I don't disturb anyone else in the room when I'm gaming) (off the rainforest for 120quid) and I must say I rather like them. They do kind of lack in the bass department but at the same time that helps when it comes to gaming and I feel/imagine it makes them less fatiguing.
Anyhow I'm also keeping an eye out as to what will be my next upgrade will be.
I'm strongly looking at the Beyer MMX300's (or their clone the QPAD QH-1339 which are 60-70 quid cheaper).

I've also been toying with the idea of a set of Sennheiser Momentum on-ear's for personal out and about use and while gaming though I do hear they are rather bassy.

Gangster
Associate
OP
What one did you get daz?

That's correct!

The stock cable is braided so gels nice but the SFlex is so soft yet still strong and slim profile that you can bend it around virtually anything and it feels like silicone. IMO it feels nicer than the stock cable and the metal ends look and feel really classy!

Good man Got my Sflex Mini Cable with my X1's.

Here is my HD598's, Will post pictures of my X1's soon.

P.S my headphones are connected to my sound card asus phoebus, and set to the middle amp setting (64 ohm to 150ohm)

free image hosting

R3X

R3X

Soldato

thanks should have got these when they were mentioned a month ago and @ 150 !

Back
Top Bottom