Going back to PC gaming - New system?

Associate
Thoughts on my existing spec, time for a complete new system?

intel core i7 920 @2.67 socket 1366lga ( bloomfield )

Asus P6t x58

Corsair DDR3 16gb @534mhz

AMD r9 200 2048 GDDR 5

Samsung ssd840

Samsung generic screen @ 1920 1080

Any thoughts, advice welcomed budget around £1000

Last edited:
Soldato
Main parts of that are definitely worthless for continuation.
Trying to change any single part is waste of money and work, unless getting basically free parts.

That SSD is usable.
Also what case do you have?
If it's good design instead of outdated already decade ago also that could be salvaged.

PSU is likely completely outdated even it was good as new.
And if it was cheap part PSU then nothing new expensive parts should be risked on it.

Soldato
well most bang for your buck would be,

get a x5650 cpu for that motherboard and get a good graphics card, overclock the x5650 to 4.4ghz which nearly all do and you have a decent gaming pc right there that could just about play anything out there. X5650 can be bought of ebay for £20 and there is a big overclocking thread right here on this forum. I think its a good option and you can put the rest of the money towards a better graphics card which to be honest is the most important single component that affects gaming dramatically within reason.

Associate
I personally would start again. Sounds like you've had it for a decent amount of time and there are some great systems that can be built for £1k. At this price you will likely be looking at a Ryzen based system with an NVidia GPU.

Associate
Assuming the case can be reused and you have a storage drive:

Good AMD Bundle offer on right now, good price for the components plus you get a free SSD

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £848.01 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

With the left over money i would save it and then try and get a new monitor when you have enough money, i would suggest either a 1080p @ 144hz or 1440hz @ 60hz

Back
Top Bottom