Going back to VR (Rift)

Associate
the Quest 2 is a massive upgrade from the Rift.
Disagree.
Perhaps for most people, most of the time, but not in my personal experience. I encountered two problems: 1) IPD 2) Q2 is not compatible with 1060, apparently. So while the screen is sharper and with less SDE, it introduced stutter, which is not good for racing.
So in my particular use case, it did not represent a £300 upgrade over my CV1.
I might try it again when I can get hold of a 30-series card, but the HP Reverb G2's quite tempting...

Soldato
Disagree.
Perhaps for most people, most of the time, but not in my personal experience. I encountered two problems: 1) IPD 2) Q2 is not compatible with 1060, apparently. So while the screen is sharper and with less SDE, it introduced stutter, which is not good for racing.
So in my particular use case, it did not represent a £300 upgrade over my CV1.
I might try it again when I can get hold of a 30-series card, but the HP Reverb G2's quite tempting...

What is your IPD? Quest 2 covers from 58mm to 68mm (70mm with a 3D printed spacer)

Is your 1060 a 3GB or a 6GB version? IF it's 3GB then, no, it won't work well. You can't really blame the Quest 2 for your GPU not been compatible. IF you didn't have a supported GPU for your Civ1, it would have been crap too.

Associate
What is your IPD? Quest 2 covers from 58mm to 68mm (70mm with a 3D printed spacer)

Is your 1060 a 3GB or a 6GB version? IF it's 3GB then, no, it won't work well. You can't really blame the Quest 2 for your GPU not been compatible. IF you didn't have a supported GPU for your Civ1, it would have been crap too.
Hey there, I was v careful NOT to say the Q2 was crap, just that it didn't work for me and my particular situation. I also said I might give it another go with a new GPU.
NO IDEA if this is true, but I hear that even the higher res G2 is less demanding on the PC than Q2 using link simply because of the USB video compression. I wish they'd put a Display Port in on the HMD.

Soldato
Hey there, I was v careful NOT to say the Q2 was crap, just that it didn't work for me and my particular situation. I also said I might give it another go with a new GPU.
NO IDEA if this is true, but I hear that even the higher res G2 is less demanding on the PC than Q2 using link simply because of the USB video compression. I wish they'd put a Display Port in on the HMD.

I am sorry but you mistook my post. I wasn't defending the Quest 2. I was pointing out to you, that you didn't have a particular situation. You just didn't have a computer compatible with the Quest 2. It doesn't change what @Ravenger said.

Some of the Video Reviewers have said that the G2 is less demanding than the Quest 2. There are some guys here with both, can't remember them ever saying this was the case. Or to put it another way, if you have a GPU powerful enough to run the Reverb G2, you have a GPU powerful enough to run the Quest 2.

There was no way they were going to put a display port/HDMI port on the Quest 2. It would have made it a lot more expensive. As well as adding to the complexity and another layer of support needed. Will they do this in the Future with a more expensive headset?? Who knows? My thinking is that as Mobile CPU/GPUs get more powerful, there will be less and less need to connect to PC. The Mobile VR headset will be basically be like a console.

Associate
Quest2 is great. Just accept Facebook are watching everything you do :;

I was running a 5600x + 980ti and it worked on low game settings. Now on a 3070 and things look better - works for FS2020 and that is pretty demanding. Cannot justify to myself dropping much more money on a GPU but I am sure people who use 3080 or 3090 get a better experience.

Permabanned
Things have improved a lot if you have the power to push the newer headsets.

What GPU/CPU combo are you working with?

Same stale games from last year though! VR has a really scarce game line up and the line up is mostly disappointing.

Very uncomfortable, poor sounds quality, although with excellent resolution and picture.

Plus, I can't stomach Facebook watching me and sending my Facebook friendslist my activity. It all just does not sit well with me. I've been even offerd a dicounted brand new Quest 2 for £270 and I turned it down. I'll just keep using my original rifts until said companies come to their senses.

Last edited:
Soldato
Same stale games from last year though! VR has a really scarce game line up and the line up is mostly disappointing.

Very uncomfortable, poor sounds quality, although with excellent resolution and picture.

Plus, I can't stomach Facebook watching me and sending my Facebook friendslist my activity. It all just does not sit well with me. I've been even offerd a dicounted brand new Quest 2 for £270 and I turned it down. I'll just keep using my original rifts until said companies come to their senses.

I use VR primarily for racing sims. (HP Reverb) I'm not what I would consider a VR gamer. I like sim racing and VR makes that experience much better. I may try some flight sim stuff eventually though.

Associate
OP
Is it true they're forcing adverts onto the Quest 2 ? I stopped watching terrestrial TV around 15 years ago because I was sick of adverts.. adverts in VR.. not in my bloody house.

Associate
No it's not true.

They're allowing publishers to include ads in their games if they wish. How it'll be implemented isn't really known.
And the first dev that started including them got review bombed to oblivion and immediately pulled out sooo hopefully that will scare off most other devs!

Back
Top Bottom