Going clipless...

Soldato
Not mine, the tight fisted git searched his box of loose nuts and bolts and found a cleat screw and charged me £1.50

yeah same here, I just spent £100 and asked for one cleat bolt and he wanted a quid. You wot lol.

There is a screw trade shop around here who charges about 15p per bolt...so best to go and and order say 10 bolts and screws that you need in one big lot.

Soldato
OP
I might just bear that in mind, guys! There is a small bike shop few hundred yards from where I live. Maybe next time I will venture there for such things.

On another note, I went out today with the clipless. Fell over twice but otherwise very good ride. I did a practice ride to work and it took roughly 37mins to get there, so hopefully from tomorrow, I should see more improved times.

If anyone is interested, my Strava profile is https://www.strava.com/athletes/12696341

Soldato
Pr0 tip is to un-clip 5-10 seconds in advance of when you *might* need to. Keep your cleat in the pedal though and you can clip back in easily enough.

Also learning not to lean the bike the same way as the foot that remains clipped in is a sure fire way to avoid falling over. Putting pressure on that same leg in a bid to try and stay upright as you begin to fall just speeds the process up :p

Soldato
OP
Pr0 tip is to un-clip 5-10 seconds in advance of when you *might* need to. Keep your cleat in the pedal though and you can clip back in easily enough.

Also learning not to lean the bike the same way as the foot that remains clipped in is a sure fire way to avoid falling over. Putting pressure on that same leg in a bid to try and stay upright as you begin to fall just speeds the process up :p

Good points! I definitely have been giving it a go at unclipping a good few seconds before I think I have to stop. Definitely a learning curve but I think I will get the hang of it. :)

Soldato
If you have thick stiff soles it's not too bad riding on them. Actually easier to ride on the cleat side of the pedal than the back.
I commute to work on my mtb with spd pedals and trainers. It's a bit slippery in the rain but is manageable for my short commute.

Soldato
Perfectly fine if your shoes are suitable. Same side as the cleat will be the grippier. Fine if you're just darting to the shops for example.

Soldato
OP
You can. It won't have much grip but with trainers you'll likely have far more grip than a slippery carbon/nylon sole!

Not sure why you'd want to - certainly not for more than a few miles. Could get something like this too: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BikeDabs-Pedal-Adapter-Shimano-SPD/dp/B00JQJOJA8

Ah that's good. Thanks for the advice guys! Reason being, I might just use trainers for commuting to work and then use cleats for more longer rides. Might look into those adapters tho. Could do the trick. :)

Back
Top Bottom