Going Electric

Soldato
Hey,

Currently I have a Cube Analog 29er Hardtail Mountain Bike, From around 2016 i believe, Its a great bike and over the years have done some upgrades to it,
I pretty much just commute on it, To and from work around 1.5 miles each way there and back

But been thinking of changing and going to an Electric bike, Purely because I'm now starting to have issues with my Knee (been an issue for a while Wear/tear) and I think my current bike doesn't help as its not the lightest by any means and there and back there's two inclines I have to go up.

What should i be looking at when it comes to an electric bike as I'm clueless. :)

Cheers!

Soldato
Maybe look at a Swytch kit for you current bike. Wheel swap plus a cadence sensor and suited to your 1.5 mile commute.

For a more serious conversion have a look a the Dillinger UK BBS01 Mid Drive kit. More expensive and more involved but a good project. Dillinger will answers your queries.

Otherwise there's so many bikes to choose from.

fez

fez

Caporegime
If the only use for it is getting to work and back a mile and a half away do you need an eBike or could you walk? I have no idea about your health or how active your job/life is but that could be a good bit of regular exercise if your knees can take it.

Soldato
OP
Maybe look at a Swytch kit for you current bike. Wheel swap plus a cadence sensor and suited to your 1.5 mile commute.

For a more serious conversion have a look a the Dillinger UK BBS01 Mid Drive kit. More expensive and more involved but a good project. Dillinger will answers your queries.

Otherwise there's so many bikes to choose from.
Hey!

I did actually look at those DIY kits but to me they seem rather expensive! my bike is getting on a bit now and i would rather put that sort of money that id spend on a DIY kit into a new bike if I'm been honest.
If the only use for it is getting to work and back a mile and a half away do you need an eBike or could you walk? I have no idea about your health or how active your job/life is but that could be a good bit of regular exercise if your knees can take it.
I don't necessarily need a bike no, I can walk but its way way faster on a bike obviously, long story short my left knee is starting to give me a bit of trouble and its from all the years of repetitive twisting at work unloading moving extremely heavy unis from a truck up a slope into the warehouse, and i pretty much walk everywhere else as i don't drive so i am fairly active.
i just thought that having an E-bike would take more stress off my knee when going up the two incline's on the way to work, Same with when you are absolutely knackred when finishing the shift i could literally power my way home and hardly pedal. :)

Soldato
Are you using the bike off road too? I know mountain bikes can often make hard work of cycling on roads and so possibly switching to a gravel/road bike could be a cheaper/better option.

I've recently converted my wifes bike using the Bafang BBS02B and from my research i'd say Dillinger were very expensive for the kits. This place was the cheapest by a decent way and didn't charge extra for hydraulic brake sensors. I had a good long chat with him prior to buying. He also programmed the motor to match my wifes requirements and offered support during the fitting process even on weekends.

A cheaper option would be a rear wheel kit. Can seem to pick them up for ~£400 including a battery which seems reasonable.

Associate
What's your budget?
Will it be used for leisure/offroad or just commuting? Do you want/need full suspension?
I commute on my full sus emtb every day without issue. The motor just makes it more fun.

Back
Top Bottom