Going Freelance (SEO)

Agreed - Not everything SEO has to be 'black hat' based. Nowadays it's about purity of content, clean code and above all making sure your site is helpful to its audience.

Seo just has a bad rep because so many people who work in the industry are dodgy or rubbish, quite often both.

The SEO company we work for are brilliant and get results when many others can't but they put in a lot of work to achieve that. Google are getting to grips with the shady side of SEO more and more so it is an art walking the line between what is good and what is harmful to your ranking.

I certainly used to think that SEO was 90% snake oil but that is because like most developers I dealt with complete idiots that didn't have half a brain cell to share. A lot of those I met couldn't explain why they did half the things they claimed helped a site. None of them had any understanding of the area of web development that overlapped their own and they were all possessed of less than fantastic morals when it came to fleecing customers.

People will come to you if you can generate good rankings - top 5. Top 3 is impressive. Not for something like 'new furniture for sale in Stoke', SEO's who quote long tail as their calling card rarely survive, or they work on £50/month and hope the client doesn't mind them doing nothing (just tweaking your keywords Mr)

However if you can show and rank decent (business producing) keywords .. then it's without doubt that you can succeed.

Look at what we've done for client X, ranking no'1 on DDDDDD DDDDDD keyword. - that's powerful.

Back
Top Bottom