• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Going from a 6700k to Ryzen 1700?

los

los

Associate
I've currently got a 6700k running at 4.6ghz, I keep getting the urge to change to a Ryzen 1700. I game at 1440, play all sorts of games.
Is it a worthwhile upgrade/side grade? I dont do any editing just gaming and browsing really.

Associate
I've currently got a 6700k running at 4.6ghz, I keep getting the urge to change to a Ryzen 1700. I game at 1440, play all sorts of games.
Is it a worthwhile upgrade/side grade? I dont do any editing just gaming and browsing really.

For gaming exclusively? No, upgrading is not worthwhile at all IMO. If you do anything that likes more than 4cores/8threads then maybe but honestly if i was you i wouldn't upgrade.

Soldato
At the moment it would be a downgrade to switch to the Ryzen 1700 because the 6700K is still better in most games. However, if you exclusively play the very few games that require more than 4C8T (and at 720p low settings to make it CPU-thread-bound) then it's probably worth the switching.

As a normal gamer I would stick with the 6700K until 4C8T becomes CPU-thread-bound in at least a few games I enjoy most, and then purchase the later generations of Ryzen or whatever comes next from Intel, with higher frequency, instead of something merely 4GHz.

Soldato
I've been using a 6700k since launch and it's been perfect. As above a ryzen 1700 would be a downgrade for sure. I love playing with new tech as well, but you should wait for Computex and see what Intel news on new chipset.? If you wanted something new wait at least until Aug for coffeelake.

Associate
I changed from a 6700k to a 1700 because I need the extra cores and it performs fine, if I was just gaming however I'd definitely stick with the 6700k. I know new shiny tech is always tempting but those changing from fast i7's to high core counts purely for gaming are going to be left pretty underwhelmed.

Soldato
If you streamed it probably would be, otherwise as others have said, no. Clock for clock they're very close, but of course the 6700K will OC higher.

Soldato
Sounds like a modest overclock you have there, you can probably get it higher if needed. I wouldn't bother upgrading anything Haswell onwards if you're purely doing gaming. At the same time I wouldn't invest in anything below 6 cores if buying new either.

Back
Top Bottom