Going, going... gone!

Soldato
OP
So does the sale just get cancelled?

Apparently the winning bidder is unknown and nobody seems to know what'll happen next. All a bit fishy tbh but still a cracking stunt even if all isn't as it seems.

I bet Sotheby's are still clearing up all the dropped vol au vents.

Soldato
OP
The genius is that it doesn't matter whether it's "real" or a set up stunt. The effect on those present is the same.

Banksy has turned destroying art in front of the art loving (or perhaps money loving) community into performance art.

I think it's brilliant.

Soldato
OP
Ah I see what you are saying.

The full mechanism seems quite elaborate and appears mains powered - unless they made it internally lit a bit tricky to get it plugged in if the auction place wasn't in on it and even then no guarantee the auction house would plug it in for the auction.

Xr648xO.png

It didn't appear to be mains powered. Video footage shows no sign of external cables when it was removed and carried away.

Soldato
OP
Yeah that is what I thought - but the construction appears to show some mains duty cabling, etc. maybe just used for charging though.

Very true.

For all we know, he's still fooling us: maybe the pics of the internals are a part of the act and nothing was actually shredded at all. Maybe the intact work just rolled up inside the frame as a pre-shredded copy emerged out of the bottom.

I wouldn't put it past him. :)

Edit: Sorry, I missed this:

That would be brilliant but far too easy to be falsely triggered without some kind of machine learning system processing the sound.

It would be possible if it was "armed" just before it went up. Very little chance of anything resembling a hammer sound triggering it during the auction.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom