Going, going... gone!

Caporegime
I mean it's funny.

But what kind of power is needed for a shredder?

Could a battery source have done this? On a timer? Remotely.

Seems setup, funny though.

Soldato
OP
So does the sale just get cancelled?

Apparently the winning bidder is unknown and nobody seems to know what'll happen next. All a bit fishy tbh but still a cracking stunt even if all isn't as it seems.

I bet Sotheby's are still clearing up all the dropped vol au vents.

Soldato
I mean it's funny.

But what kind of power is needed for a shredder?

Could a battery source have done this? On a timer? Remotely.

Seems setup, funny though.

Looks like it was backlite, in the frame, when on display already? So presumably it was plugged in?

Edit: just watched the (mobile) video phone footage and it's clear it's a spotlight on it as security lift it off the wall so power must have been built in.

Soldato
It's not completely shredded is it though? Looks like half of it remains in the frame, and half shredded, meaning it is still a viable thing to hang on the wall, with no adjustment (other than no doubt substantial cash value increase given the stunt).

Also, I find it hard to believe that when evaluating it, Sotheby's didn't notice the shredder and associated battery etc. I find it very hard to believe they were not in on this all along.

Man of Honour
I mean, really, how could those handling the painting not have noticed such a shredder in the frame.

But if it’s not a well orchestrated hoax with the purchaser and the auction house... I suspect the purchaser will be offered the item as is but if rejected it would be resold without any litigation taking place. Some commentary has barked on about the point of sale, but to me that’s irrelevant - I would suggest the state and delivery of said item upon delivery to the purchaser is more material. I don’t think anyone could run a bona fide ‘caveat emptor’ defence against something that has been secretly and intentionally designed to self destruct without disclosure to the purchaser :p

Soldato
I doubt any auction house is going to dismantle the objects for sale to check for anything hidden inside, or should they just xray everything?

You'd expect them to at least inspect the objects for sale, a shredder + the batteries needed to power it isn't exactly easy to conceal in frame, you'd know something was dodgy from the weight alone

Soldato
You'd expect them to at least inspect the objects for sale
I might expect them to have an art expert verify if the actual painting/print was genuine. I wouldn't expect any more 'investigation' than that.

a shredder + the batteries needed to power it isn't exactly easy to conceal in frame, you'd know something was dodgy from the weight alone
It's a very large frame and if it was solid wood it would be very heavy. You could quite easily conceal a motor and some batteries inside.
The "shredder" is just a series of scalpel blades, probably weighs no more than 20grams. Just need a small motor and some batteries with it.

I'm not convinced by the story - but that's mainly because it's claimed that it was setup "a few years ago" and I doubt it would have lasted so long. Not because I think the auction house would have noticed anything unusual.

Don
You'd expect them to at least inspect the objects for sale, a shredder + the batteries needed to power it isn't exactly easy to conceal in frame, you'd know something was dodgy from the weight alone
That looks like a heavy solid wood frame, so they would expect a bit of weight to it, though aye, I’m a bit suspicious of the battery keeping it’s charge for apparently years, though it might explain why it only managed half the painting before dying.

Back
Top Bottom