Going to see a 1yr old Volvo XC40 but 1st service done at 26,000

Soldato
Morning all,

Going to see a few cars today. Looking at a Volvo XC40 which had its first years service at 9 months old, which is the good bit....but the not so good bit is that during those 9 months it's covered 26,000 miles.

Dealer said it's fine and they would cover the warranty.

I like the car, although I like others too. Modern diesels and oils are obviously much better these days, but not sure?? at least it's been a motorway cruiser and not used for the school run.

Alarm bells?

Soldato
OP
What’s the service intervals?

I wouldn’t be too worried.

1yr or 18,000 miles whichever comes first

We don't do high miles, so I will bring the service schedules back in line by doing the 2nd service quite early. Think most oils these days are the stop/start variety and synthetic or part synthetic so the horror stories of old probably don't hold any weight these days.

Knowing me, I'll probably only keep the car for 1/2 years then get bored and look for a change. Just don't want the engine to have issues and Volvo say "hard luck, it's not covered"

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If they say it’s fine and covered under warranty and you’re sure you can get the servicing back in line over a couple of years then I don’t see what the issue is.

Thanks, just my own peace of mind really.

Only just learning about the new diesel engines and how they work. Just wasn't sure if after 26k miles (despite from only 9 months motoring) the oil would start to cause some issues. Maybe not now, but in a few years time.

Maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

Soldato
OP
I've just phoned the dealer, they said that paticular vehicle came into stock from Volvo and they will put in writting about it still having the remainder of the manufacturers warranty.

Soldato
OP
My Focus is every 12.5k and I do 25k+ a year (just had it's 2nd service done in my ownership), if they've done 26k in 9 months and not serviced it I would expect the price to reflect that, as mentioned above if it's the same price as other XC40s then walk away as down the line you may have issues.

If it's cheaper then I guess the call is yours as you have to weigh up the price vs risk, it's easy to bring it back inline by just having it serviced at 36k as per recommendation but the 1st service being missed by 8k could bite you come re-sale time.

It's more the health of the engine rather than resale

Soldato
OP
as mentioned above, I'm wondering if a second service carried out quite soonish would bring things back inline.

I'm going to see it now for a look, but won't decice anything today

Soldato
OP
If anyone sees a Volvo with black smoke pouring out the back you'll know who it is

Nah still thinking it all over

Money is key so maybe I'll get a nice discount

Soldato
OP
Would rather that than an engine that’s done 9000 miles but spent hours idling

trouble with used cars you never really know

anyways, so we went out earlier to have a look. Test drove it, drove fine, sounded fine.
bit bland inside, very erm.....rugged? It kinda reminded me of a cross between a jeep and a telsa (big screen on dash).

The dealer said they have already discounted based on mileage but as they thought the service history was fine they wouldn't go any lower.

Nearest one to it (apart from being the other side of the country) is £1,750 more expensive

I'm going to look at some others tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
I haven't serviced my car in 50K miles. If I do 3 services now, will it bring it back in line and fix the engine?

More seriously I'm not sure what bringing it back in line means. Surely there is no point in doing two oil changes in quick succession.

Also I bet you can go 26K miles without a service in some of the condition based servicing schedules.

Nothing to do with fixing the engine at all, it's simply to allow volvo to uphold the warranty. Irrelevant now, we've decided to look at something else.

as many have said on here, the engine will probably be fine......it's more warranty and resale value.

Soldato
OP
Good call. Looked at an XC40 myself recently, very nice car in the right spec, trouble was when I priced up all my options it was near £40k :eek:

Yeah, that's another problem with those. We looked at the Mazda and still a bit meh.

Now seen a 3008 in full GT spec which looks amazing.

Back
Top Bottom