Gone Girl

Associate
It's been out for a few weeks now but I can't find a thread on it.

The biggest film surprise of the year for me, I was totally transfixed from start to finish, I can't wait to watch it again.

Soldato
Will repost what I put in the last nights movie thread...

Gone Girl, definitely not one of Finchers best movies but still very good. So glad I hadn't read the book first as it would have definitely blunted the impact of the film. 8/10

To expand...Affleck again proves himself as a really good...almost great actor. Give it a few more years and he'll be someone we look back on and forgive all the rubbish he used to be involved in.

Associate
Got dragged to this by the missus when it first came out, and it was actually very good I thought. Ending's a bit weak, but for a long movie, I didn't notice the time going by. A few loose ends not really cleared up but didn't really matter.

Without spoiling anything, there was one point where I felt sorry for the wife.

Don't know if I would have gone without coercion, but definitely worth a look.

Soldato
I wasn't impressed with the film really. The performances from Affleck and Pike were both really good, and the story is a bit different, but

I hadn't read the book so didn't know what was going to happen, but within 10 minutes it was blatantly obvious what hadn't happened.
It was silly the way they glossed over her cover story about being held captive. Where was the massive head wound from being attacked? She said he took her from her house to the lodge in the woods and held her captive. With the huge amount of cameras there, where was the video footage of her during the time she was actually in the motel/trailer park place - did she delete that footage of when she wasn't there? How about the footage of when she arrived in the car, and was there but walking about freely whilst he was out? Did she only leave the tiny bit of footage of when she threw herself against the window to simulate being attacked?

Ben's character was followed to his dads house and the police where inside within 30 seconds of the alarm going off. They saw he was on the phone when they arrived but somehow thought he'd had the time to go down to the basement and try to burn the diary? It didn't burn, he knew what was in it, but he didn't go back to finish the job before they went back to find it? The police said it didn't burn because they interrupted him, but he was on the phone when they came in. Are we to believe that in that old house, the alarm system is linked to the burner in the basement to cut it off when the alarm goes off?

Her disguise of a slight hair colour change and cutting about 3 inches off it seemed to fool everyone, even those watching the TV with her on it.

She was left out of hospital exceptionally quickly, still covered in blood, apparently after being kidnapped, held captive abused for quite some time. Hmmm.

The twist was revealed half-way through, and then it got boring and dragged on and on.

There were just some really silly bits in it

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Will repost what I put in the last nights movie thread...

Gone Girl, definitely not one of Finchers best movies but still very good. So glad I hadn't read the book first as it would have definitely blunted the impact of the film. 8/10

To expand...Affleck again proves himself as a really good...almost great actor. Give it a few more years and he'll be someone we look back on and forgive all the rubbish he used to be involved in.

I personally thought Roslin Pike was good. Absolutely priceless what Afleck said when he saw her ;)

Commissario
I was a bit disappointed, saw this last night and it just felt too 'disjointed' in parts. And just ended with a complete 'wtf?!' moment.

Caporegime
^ Or will you?!

Saw this last night and we both really enjoyed it, despite the enormous plot holes and the rather comedic portrayal of the FBI.

The only problem I really had with it was that
the ending sort of fizzled out. I thought there was going to be one final twist or event.

By the way, it's worth watching for that scene with Emily Ratajkowski alone!

Last edited:
Soldato
I wasn't impressed with the film really. The performances from Affleck and Pike were both really good, and the story is a bit different, but

I hadn't read the book so didn't know what was going to happen, but within 10 minutes it was blatantly obvious what hadn't happened.
It was silly the way they glossed over her cover story about being held captive. Where was the massive head wound from being attacked? She said he took her from her house to the lodge in the woods and held her captive. With the huge amount of cameras there, where was the video footage of her during the time she was actually in the motel/trailer park place - did she delete that footage of when she wasn't there? How about the footage of when she arrived in the car, and was there but walking about freely whilst he was out? Did she only leave the tiny bit of footage of when she threw herself against the window to simulate being attacked?

Ben's character was followed to his dads house and the police where inside within 30 seconds of the alarm going off. They saw he was on the phone when they arrived but somehow thought he'd had the time to go down to the basement and try to burn the diary? It didn't burn, he knew what was in it, but he didn't go back to finish the job before they went back to find it? The police said it didn't burn because they interrupted him, but he was on the phone when they came in. Are we to believe that in that old house, the alarm system is linked to the burner in the basement to cut it off when the alarm goes off?

Her disguise of a slight hair colour change and cutting about 3 inches off it seemed to fool everyone, even those watching the TV with her on it.

She was left out of hospital exceptionally quickly, still covered in blood, apparently after being kidnapped, held captive abused for quite some time. Hmmm.

The twist was revealed half-way through, and then it got boring and dragged on and on.

There were just some really silly bits in it

This is pretty much how I felt about it too. There are too many inconsistencies and plot holes that I didn't really enjoy. It's another of those films that explains things away with 'the police/FBI are incompetent'. I read some reviews that were really glowing so I was left feeling a bit let down by it. It's by no means a bad film, I just don't think it lived up to the hype from the reviews.

Man of Honour
I saw this and thought it was terrible. I thought it was going to be quite good and quite clever up until...

the twist halfway through and then it just ruined it for me. Couldn't get in to it after that. It just killed all suspense and made it such a bore.

And the ending is just ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom