Good AIO or Air?

Soldato
I'm just getting some bits together for a new Ryzen build and was wondering if a good AIO CPU cooler would be beneficial over a good air cooler.
I think the last time I looked into this, the general consensus was a good air cooler out performed an AIO. Has this changed?

Soldato
OP
Ok great. Thanks everyone.
I'm going to be getting a new case for the build too so be as well look for one that has good air flow and stick with a good air cooler.

Soldato
OP
Keep in mind most stock case fans are not much if any good. For example Fractal Design case fans are worthless.
Ah ok, I thought they would have been pretty good for coming with a decent case!! I'll have to factor that in too then. I was going to go with a meshify C but no front usb C port so doubt I will now.

I'm using Be Quiet Dark Rock PRO 4 which is really good. Just make sure your case has enough room to fit it as it's pretty darn big :)

Also a good thermal paste should also be considered!
I was looking at that cooler last night. I didn't realise the size of it until I watched a YouTube video!! It's absolutely massive!!

Soldato
OP
So what fans are half decent? I assume 140mm fans are better for shifting more air and quieter?

I've been looking at the BeQuiet cases too but not sure yet. Plenty time to decide.

Soldato
OP
Dual towers are often huge covering most of upper part of motherboard.
Noctua NH-D15 is similar in size.
With looser fin spacing fin stack simply needs big dimensions to fit in necessary surface area to dissipate heat into air.
Same applies equally to waterpipe coolers and some average radiator simply doesn't have excess of surface area.

For more reasonable size with full DIMM and PCI-e slot clearance mid dense fin spacing Scythe Mugen 5 is very good for reasonable price.
It's basically just step behind the best in cooling per noise.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5100-mugen-5-rev.b-cpu-cooler-hs-046-sy.html

Thank you EsaT, I had been looking at the Mugen 5 cooler also.
Everyone raves about the Noctua cooler but my goodness it is ugly as sin. Could always change the fans I suppose but that's just extra cost.
The cooler choice will definitely be between the BeQuiet Dark cooler pro, Noctua D15 or the Mugen 5.

Edit to add: My GPU at the minute is a Vega 56 pulse edition so may undervolt it to run a bit cooler also.

Soldato
OP
I'll be staying with whatever I go with for a number of years. I try and get the most out of a system. I'm currently still on a i5-2500K so well overdue an upgrade.

Soldato
OP
Now just to find a case that I like and then make sure my fan choice will fit into it!!
Still unsure which 3xxx chip or motherboard to go for yet though.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Best way forward is a good air cooled system. They cost less, last longer and are usually quieter. NH-U12A is a good cooler, not quite as good as NH-D15 and juust as expensive £89.99 it's also one of the most expensive out there. Look around for TRUE Spirit 140 Power (be sure it's Power model). It's about half as much and cools as well, and while it's not too deep (53mm w/o fan, 79.5mm w/fan) it is wide (155mm) and extremely tall (171mm), so make sure case you choose has enough CPU clearance. If you have problems finding one, dropm me a trust note.

Thanks Doyll. Points taken. I'll stick with a good air cooler then. Now to pick a case that is deep enough to fit them in.

Soldato
OP
Which is why I'm perfectly happy with my £50 Seidon AIO.

Quiet (some people keep banging on about pump noise, none audible here), keeps my X5650 @ 4.4 below 70C under load, compact and doesn't interfere with RAM.

Sure, there's ,more to go wrong than with air, but I've been running mine for over two and a half years now with no issues.

When/if it goes down, I'll just get another AIO.

I've never used any type of water cooler systems before. I would try them but as I've always used air, I feel more comfortable using it.

Soldato
OP
Double post. Think there is an issue with the site.

Yeah, That's what I figured with the sizes of the best air coolers and this B-grade one looks new too so must have been an open box item.

Soldato
OP
As long as it fits, does it really matter? Do you spend hours staring into your case? The window in my case is basically against the wall.

I'll probably be using it in my existing case for now so it will stick out the side window a few centimeters. I'm waiting for the Lancool two release before buying a new case.

Soldato
OP
At the minute, I'm only going to be running a Ryzen 3600 and probably won't bother with an all core overclock.
In the future, I plan to drop in a 12 core or possibly even a 16 core chip when prices settle and then just leave it for a number of years.
I built my 2500k setup back in 2012 and never touched it since so my builds last me a good few years.
If I do go down the 12/16 core chip route, I may have to look at a custom loop. I don't think I would ever go for an AIO now.

Soldato
OP
The less maintenance the better for me to be honest. I built my 2500k setup in 2012 and only repasted it this year!
I just like using my computer without worry of other stuff breaking which is why I went with air. I'm still interested in water cooling but I think I'll stick with air for now.

Soldato
OP
This.
I use my pc a lot, but allow myself few days without it if needed.
Since I was a kid, always enjoyed dismantling my toys, and usually spent more time assembling them than actually playing with them.
Still behaving like that, at some extent. Always an unjustified pc upgrade, just for the sake of change or an ongoing project at the house or the car.

I've gone for the large air cooler for now and see how I get on with it.if not, I'll whip out the card and do a custom loop.

Back
Top Bottom