Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
I doubt you can boot from the nvme but maybe it could be used as a secondary device?
That'd be fine, I want it to host my family photos so I can browse them quicker on jellyfin.

I've no experience with nvme drives or PCI express adapters for drives so this is all new to me, feels like putting a modified air filter on a 25 year old fiesta but I'm in a strange scenario where I've got a 1TB nvme drive with no other use for it.

Soldato
Do you reckon this will suit the Samsung 980 nvme please?

K3gBT6w.jpg
Screenshot-20210523-203656-com-amazon-m-Shop-android-shopping.jpg

K3gBT6w.jpg

From my research the N40L only has a second generation PCIe, and this is capable of 3rd generation, so I'm assuming PCIe are backward compatible, but I don't understand form factors of m.2 drives

Soldato
The second picture shows it installed with a samsung m.2 :)

The product description lists the sizes it's compatible with - 80mm, 60mm, 42mm

Your evo should be "2280" which is 22mm wide and 80mm long

Soldato
Also Interested - Pictures not showing - only
The link is here to the pics, I'm expecting my Samsung 980 today, and my PCIe adapter came yesterday, so I'm happy to post back my success or failure if it's of interest

Next on my list of things to do is find a way in cli Ubuntu of having it so that two drives in my system are kept the same as each other, i.e. I'll back up my photos to the new nvme drive, then occasionally it will copy all changes to another internal 1tb mechanical drive

Soldato
Thanks Uhtred

Can anyone help please, I put my nvme PCI express card in the outermost PCI express slot (slot 1, the long one which I believe to be the x16 slot) and the N40L wouldn't boot. If i put it in the inner slot, a tiny one, (slot 2) it boots.

I'm assuming I am missing out on loads of throughput by using the x1 slot

Soldato
Currently running xpenology with an old build of 5.2 i think
recently thought that backing up the USB os was a a good idea however i cannot get the box to boot with a different usb stick even though all the files are on the new stick :(
What am i doing wrong?

Don
Currently running xpenology with an old build of 5.2 i think
recently thought that backing up the USB os was a a good idea however i cannot get the box to boot with a different usb stick even though all the files are on the new stick :(
What am i doing wrong?

Fairly sure you have to write an .img file to the usb with Win32 Disk Imager, you can't just copy files across

Soldato
Anyone heard any rumblings of Gen11 on the horizon? About to go for a Gen10+ and usually if I do that the next week or two a new model will drop. Story of my life lol.

Back
Top Bottom