Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
hi. just wanted some help regarding the cashback. i was wondering when it says proof of purchase, what has everyone sent? i received a delivery note which had the code, brand and description on it. would this be enough or am i looking for something else?

I sent that and a copy of the email receipt. They responded within two days and said cashback on its way.

Associate
hi. just wanted some help regarding the cashback. i was wondering when it says proof of purchase, what has everyone sent? i received a delivery note which had the code, brand and description on it. would this be enough or am i looking for something else?

Printed a copy of the Invoice off the website.

Associate

I brought the same RAM for my Microsever and Windows 2008 R2 did not boot. BSOD came up with "BIOS is not fully ACPI compliant"

After researching many forums I have found 2 other users had the same problem http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=18429658&postcount=745

I purchased the Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Non-ECC today for £17.64 (KVR1333D3N9/4G) Still waiting for it to arrive and hopefully will work as confirmed by others here.

Associate
Yup can confirm the above as I am having the same issue with that OCZ Ram, only 1 stick will work either on its own or with the 1 gig that comes with the server but its very unstable and bluescreens randomly.
I am just checking if its is the ram at the moment by taking out the OCZ and just using the 1 gig that came with the server.
Let me know how you get on with that 4gig stick as I will buy one of them if its is working fine.

Soldato
Damn I should have purchased another one of these on CCard, seems that the price has gone up on the bay, could have made the £100 cashback and a bit of profit.

Associate
damn

i got a plugin power monitor to check how much power is being used by the hp microserver.

20 wats on idle.. that's with apache fan, passive PSU and WD green drives 1x500GB 2X2TB

with a 5450 graphics card the idle went up by 5-7 watts. but the 5450 hasn't given me the performance boos I wanted, the video stream sucks

I can't get the hd5450 to play videos properly using xbmc, I've got whs2011 running, installed win6 64bit drivers, video plays fine outside on a normal player, but running videos in xbmc seems to be too much for it to handle

Last edited:
Soldato
damn

i got a plugin power monitor to check how much power is being used by the hp microserver.

20 wats on idle.. that's with apache fan, passive PSU and WD green drives 1x500GB 2X2TB

with a 5450 graphics card the idle went up by 5-7 watts. but the 5450 hasn't given me the performance boos I wanted, the video stream sucks

I can't get the hd5450 to play videos properly using xbmc, I've got whs2011 running, installed win6 64bit drivers, video plays fine outside on a normal player, but running videos in xbmc seems to be too much for it to handle

really interested in how you will get on, as I'm tempted to use this as my main XBMC rig as opposed to my Revo currently there, then move the Revo to the bedroom. Have you read this?

Associate
yeah mate, i think xmbx in whs2011 is overkill the cpu can't deal with it. Plus the 5450 gets quite hot it will increase the temps a lot.

xmbc on a very lite OS should work fine though, but I need WHS2011 for many reasons

I think the best solution for me is to use a video streamer like WDTV, sure I won't be able to get full features that XMBC has, but I'm cool with just being able to stream videos.

I'm returning the HD5450

Associate
yeah mate, i think xmbx in whs2011 is overkill the cpu can't deal with it. Plus the 5450 gets quite hot it will increase the temps a lot.

xmbc on a very lite OS should work fine though, but I need WHS2011 for many reasons

I think the best solution for me is to use a video streamer like WDTV, sure I won't be able to get full features that XMBC has, but I'm cool with just being able to stream videos.

I'm returning the HD5450

I've got a passive 5450 in mine and it seems to play 720 video fine. Im running on ubuntu 11.04 with 5Gb of ram with XBMC. If you want ill look for 1080 video to test against.

Soldato
This is SO tempting. its scary.

There is no way im going to find a 4 bay NAS anywhere...but ive never set up a server before, i would be much more comfortable with a nice plug and play.....

WHAT TO DO!

Back
Top Bottom