good cheap video editing software?

Associate
I need something that will output 1080p for youtube. I use OBS studio to record and then Lightworks to edit it all together. I love lightworks but it only does 720 and costs a fortune to unlock it for 1080. So I'm looking for a replacement editor , sub £100?, that can let me edit it all back together and output at 1080?

Soldato
Kdenlive is free and recommended by Explaining Computer's Chris Barnatt. I tried Davinci Resolve but it's learning curve looks much steeper than Kdenlive.

Soldato
Davinci Resolve is probably the most powerful free one out there, with loads of tutorials and resources, and a ton of people to help you when you have questions. But it's not the quickest to learn, you need to invest some time into learning it.

Soldato
I had another go at learning Davinci Resolve this weekend and am now going to be using this forward. I was using Kdenlive before but since found out the latest version of the free version Davinci now supports GPU NVENC acceleration when encoding, which it didn't before, you had to pay for the full version for that previously. I was never able to suss out how to use GPU acceleration in Kdenlive as it is not officially supported. Davinci is not actually that bad for simple editing, it was just the number of icons and very busy looking interface that put me off compared to the simpler interface in Kden, but GPU acceleration makes it a no brainer now.

Man of Honour
Tried Shotcut before and various others, but the sheer speed and features of Davinci remain unmatched. It can also render 4K video in no time thanks to making full use of CUDA acceleration.

Soldato
Davinci resolve.

The basics are easy to pick up if you dedicate half a day to it and it's incredibly stable and reliable - and totally free.

I love messing around with it to be honest, even ended up buying the studio version (not really worth it but felt like supporting them).

Associate
When I needed something simple to use I ended up buying Camtasia for it ease of use, probably lacking in a lot of functionality but suited my basic needs.

Soldato
Resolve can be complicated but if all you are doing is slicing up and joining clips together etc it's very simple to use.

If you want to go into animation etc then it can get as complicated as you want.

Soldato
I did a job with Davinci Resolve (free version) but couldn't see the option to pick my GPU for encoding under the deliver section. Is it only certain Nvidia GPUs?

EDIT: Never mind, it works for H.265 encoding but not H.264 encoding. Does it pretty fast. That's one less reason for me having this many cores on my CPU now :p.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom