Good day OcUK Forums

Associate
Good day all, may name is Mark and I am from good old Northern Ireland. I am just new here and look forward to joining in the chat.

I have a new PC on the way and I can wait to get my hands on it (spec below). I am currently using a Toshiba Sat Pro laptop but its time to return to the good old desktops.

PC Spec.

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4200+
Coolermaster Praetorian 732
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe PCI-Express Mainboard - ATX
2048MB DDR400 Memory - PC3200 (1x2048)
300GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
SONY 16x Dual Layer DVD-Re-Writable +R/-R/RW
16x DVD-ROM Drive (40x CD-ROM)
2x 256MB nVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE - DVI - SLI Configuration
19" Viewsonic VA1912W Digital & Multi Media Widescreen TFT Display
7.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio
Logitech S200 - 2.1 Speakers with Subwoofer
Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Rechargeable Cordless Mouse
ASUS WL 138G 802.11G/B Wi-Fi PCI Card
1.44MB - 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
Internal 15-in-1 Memory Card Reader

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I will be using the PC for gaming and also web design, but gaming will be its main use. Unfortunitly I cant cancel or change it because of 2 things, 1. The finiance is already through and 2. Its due here any day now. I do have a 2nd PC lying around that I plan to slowly upgrade so I may try and put the 2 6600LE's in that and upgrade to an ATI eventunitly. The 6600's where part of the deal anyway and cost hardly anything so at the moment they will have to do.

Associate
OP
Just checked and some are going for £50 each so I take it I will be looking at roughtly £100 for both then.

Not to bad I guess so then I could maybe put a couple of pounds to it and get a 7800Gt.

But in the mean time the two 6600LE's wont slow it down that much, will it?

For example will I be able to run say.....FEAR at a decent enough resoultion?

Associate
OP
Thanks guys for all your advice, it really helps as I have been away from pc's for to long to keep in tune with all this.

One question I do have it what is the advantage of SLi and Crossfire (I asume they are both the same). Will they make my 6600LE or what ever card I change it to, run twice as fast?

Associate
OP
I just got all my invoices through the post today and it says that shipping date will be the 27th :( . So sucks, I am dying to get my hands on this.

Thanks for the link charltonfan1, some interesting reading. I will maybe look to adding some more ram in future to maybe give it that extra boost.

Associate
OP
Oh dont worry, I will be trying the setup first. I know I have a good system and despite having a pritty basic card there is two of them and with the 2gb of ram and dual 64bit cpu power I am hoping will give me what I need.

I would love system that can pull out the top preformance from games like FEAR etc.... but this system may give me what I need. In time I will definitly want to upgrade to an x1800 but that costs money, something I dont have a lot of at the moment, lol.

As I said before, I gotta see how all my eBay sales go first then I can see how much I have.

Associate
OP
Ok I will be getting the system at the end of the month but due to a finance agreement I can change anything to the system unless I want to cancell the whole lot and re order, which will take nearly another month.

What I plan to do is sell the 6600LE's for roughly £80/£100 for the both and put about £150 to it and upgrade to either a X1800 XT 512MB or else 2x 7800GT 256MB's in SLI if I can afford them ok. I would love the 2x 7800's as I know that would be a better option but its all down to money.

Looks like my 360 is put off for another while.

Back
Top Bottom