"Good" Food? High Calorie Intake

Soldato
Hi folks,

I am finding myself getting pretty hangry after intense days of DIY/work/whatever. Back in the day I'd smash a peanut butter on brown bread sandwich or something. The laziness is creeping in though and recently I am smashing a share size bag of doritios or something lol.

Is there any "hacks" for filling food that is half decent for you as well? I have tried Huel and the versions a few years back were pretty grim IMO (Mac n Cheese, Thai Green). I'd much rather a king pot noodle!

I am probably at a borderline meal-prep situation too if anyone has thoughts there? Quite happy to live on the same food every day but just haven't reconnected with what used to work for me.

TIA!

Soldato
I guess it depends on your goals and your current eating habits! I'm currently maintaining my weigh by eating ~3400 cals per day spread out over 3 main meals and then a few treats in the evening. I do tend to eat the same thing day in/day out as it makes logging and prep easy to do. Happy to stick my menu up if it helps.

High protein foods will make you feel fuller for longer, if that helps at all.

Soldato
OP
I guess it depends on your goals and your current eating habits! I'm currently maintaining my weigh by eating ~3400 cals per day spread out over 3 main meals and then a few treats in the evening. I do tend to eat the same thing day in/day out as it makes logging and prep easy to do. Happy to stick my menu up if it helps.

High protein foods will make you feel fuller for longer, if that helps at all.
Yes please --

I just want something easy to construct that keeps me alive with minimal effort, balanced by the fact I burn a lot of calories when I get going. I've just got into bad snacking habits as I lost my thread of thinking on it a while back!

Man of Honour
I'm terrible at the moment for just slamming some potato waffles in the toaster when needing some filling food like that :(

Soldato
Breakfast = 45g Muesli with 15g Chia Seeds 7.5g Pumpkin Seeds 7.5g Sunflower Seeds ~75g kiwi ~200g grapefruit with 250ml full fat milk mixed with 30g Choc Orange protein Power
750cals 46g protein 87g Carbs 27g fat
Lunch = 100g raw carrot 100g tuna with ~25g sweet chili sauce, 2 slices brown bread with 7g butter, 5g mustard, 100g ham, boiled egg, frusli cereal type bar
700cals 62g protein 74g carbs 17g fat
Dinner = 50g couscous (with a stock cube and some herbs) 100g chicken breast & 230ml egg white made into an egg white, chicken omelette, 100g carrots, 100g spinach and 150g broccoli boiled, followed by 100g full fat greek yoghurt with 35g blueberries and 100g mixed berries (and 5g creatine powder lol)
700cals 69g protein 79g carbs 11g fat
Evening snack: Tesco icecream thing, a chocolate brownie and a macaroon
600cals 6g protein 69 carbs 30 fat

Daily tots: 2700 cals 174g protein 310g carbs 86g fat 50g fibre gives me ~600 cals for some biscuits and maybe a choccy bar too. Currently 82kg @182cm

Looks like a faff, but I spend maybe 10 mins a day prepping it all so it's all ready to go. I will swap out the chicken for turkey, and occasionally have pork belly, but then have to dial back the sweet treats later.

Hope that's of some help

Soldato
Daily tots: 2700 cals 174g protein 310g carbs 86g fat 50g fibre gives me ~600 cals for some biscuits and maybe a choccy bar too. Currently 82kg @182cm
estimated outgoing calories through exercise would be interesting to see - is that with 10K run a day

230ml egg white made into an egg white,
this isn't a low cost diet - happened to see the ~£3/300g of egg white in waitrose earlier, not sure why you wouldn't, more cheaply, use the whole eggs and cut out calories elsewhere.
what is food budget for the week ?

this was interesting podcast

Soldato
OP
Breakfast = 45g Muesli with 15g Chia Seeds 7.5g Pumpkin Seeds 7.5g Sunflower Seeds ~75g kiwi ~200g grapefruit with 250ml full fat milk mixed with 30g Choc Orange protein Power
750cals 46g protein 87g Carbs 27g fat
Lunch = 100g raw carrot 100g tuna with ~25g sweet chili sauce, 2 slices brown bread with 7g butter, 5g mustard, 100g ham, boiled egg, frusli cereal type bar
700cals 62g protein 74g carbs 17g fat
Dinner = 50g couscous (with a stock cube and some herbs) 100g chicken breast & 230ml egg white made into an egg white, chicken omelette, 100g carrots, 100g spinach and 150g broccoli boiled, followed by 100g full fat greek yoghurt with 35g blueberries and 100g mixed berries (and 5g creatine powder lol)
700cals 69g protein 79g carbs 11g fat
Evening snack: Tesco icecream thing, a chocolate brownie and a macaroon
600cals 6g protein 69 carbs 30 fat

Looks like a faff, but I spend maybe 10 mins a day prepping it all so it's all ready to go. I will swap out the chicken for turkey, and occasionally have pork belly, but then have to dial back the sweet treats later.

Hope that's of some help
Helpful thank you.

I am thinking I might stack some gear in the freezer too. The upcoming summer house build is going to destroy me. I came across these somehow:

Unfortunately portions are pitiful at like 400 cals but potentially good for office WFH days.

Soldato
Make fajita seasoned chicken and veg and whack it into portions in the freezer?

If you go easy on the oil it will be healthy ish and tasty. Have it in a wrap for a snack on the go, or rice in the rice cooker for 10 mins while you heat it up.

Last edited:
Associate
Soups/stews etc. would be a good shout imo, can make a massive batch, freeze and reheat from frozen without much loss in quality.

Chicken, chickpea and bean soup:

Whole large chicken, break it down and use the bones/skin for the stock - £4.50 - 2200ish calories
400g tin chickpeas - £0.50 - 280cals
400g Butter beans - £0.50 - 240 cals
Onion/Garlic/bell pepper/carrot/parseley etc. - £4 - 300cals
Tomato Paste - 30p - 50 cals
Pasta - 300g - £0.50 - 1050 cals
Stock cubes/salt/MSG

4130 cals, 6 large portions - 688 cals each.

61g protein
64g carbs
6g fibre
6g sugar
22g fat

£1.71/portion, add some bread and butter and it's easily 1000 cals.

Soldato
estimated outgoing calories through exercise would be interesting to see - is that with 10K run a day

this isn't a low cost diet - happened to see the ~£3/300g of egg white in waitrose earlier, not sure why you wouldn't, more cheaply, use the whole eggs and cut out calories elsewhere.
what is food budget for the week ?

this was interesting podcast
I currently run a college kitchen, and as such, walk about 11-13km a day, 5 days a week. Weekends are either running a bar for ~7 hours or doing external catering for maybe ~10 hours for one day, and then the other day is a day off. I lift weights 3 times a week. I can't say what my exercise cals are, but if I'm on holiday from the kitchen, I drop my cals by about 500 a day to maintain my weight. I still work out even when I'm on holiday!

No, it's not *very* low cost, but with the egg whites it makes no difference, the cost is the same. I buy free range powdered egg white, £30 for 1kg. This equals 75p a portion at 21g Prot 94 cals 0g fat compared to 3 x large free range eggs to get the same protein. Well, 24g protein 240 cals 15g fat @25p per egg so the cost is basically the same for the same amount of protein for far fewer calories and fat.

I mix 25g powder with 180g water. Each to their own, but I prefer egg white anyway! My weekly budget is currently 23,800 and I could, if I wanted to, calorie cycle, but I cba! I'll have a listen to the podcast in a bit, ty

@dlockers I'm a big advocate of bulk cooking and freezing as portions. Make life so much easier.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I currently run a college kitchen, and as such, walk about 11-13km a day, 5 days a week. Weekends are either running a bar for ~7 hours or doing external catering for maybe ~10 hours for one day, and then the other day is a day off. I lift weights 3 times a week. I can't say what my exercise cals are, but if I'm on holiday from the kitchen, I drop my cals by about 500 a day to maintain my weight. I still work out even when I'm on holiday!

No, it's not *very* low cost, but with the egg whites it makes no difference, the cost is the same. I buy free range powdered egg white, £30 for 1kg. This equals 75p a portion at 21g Prot 94 cals 0g fat compared to 3 x large free range eggs to get the same protein. Well, 24g protein 240 cals 15g fat @25p per egg so the cost is basically the same for the same amount of protein for far fewer calories and fat.

I mix 25g powder with 180g water. Each to their own, but I prefer egg white anyway! My weekly budget is currently 23,800 and I could, if I wanted to, calorie cycle, but I cba! I'll have a listen to the podcast in a bit, ty

@dlockers I'm a big advocate of bulk cooking and freezing as portions. Make life so much easier.

All the best nutrients are in the yolk.

And the flavour!

Soldato
prepping and freezing is the way to go for me makes life so much easier no pressure things going off either , did some chicken wraps filled with sweetcorn, onions, jalapenos , tomatoes with chedder cheese melted :) , in zip locked bag and put in the freezer , heat up put in the microwave and finish off in the air fryer to get it toasty doesnt take long at all

Last edited:
Soldato
I mix 25g powder with 180g water. Each to their own, but I prefer egg white anyway!
OK many km walking the kitchen I guess, says the desk jockey
.. yes I usually make spanish omelettes, or that's what I call it, when you beat up egg whites and stir into yolk+milk mixture - regular omelettes seem less substantial - add some grated cheese & (UP) ham too.

Soldato
A lot of meal prepping and nutrition has to to with circumstances and working effectively around your day. Not much point in preparing frozen soup portions if you can’t reheat them at work for example. Time also a big factor within the working day.

Nut butters are an obvious high calorie, high protein option. Get back on the peanut butter sandwiches (or on crumpets, thank me later) and stop buying Doritos!

Batch cooking chicken breast is a great option and I have that for lunches most of the working week.
Tuna, sweetcorn and lighter mayo is a decent option too for sandwich and potato filling.

Last edited:
Associate
A lot of meal prepping and nutrition has to to with circumstances and working effectively around your day. Not much point in preparing frozen soup portions if you can’t reheat them at work for example. Time also a big factor within the working day.

Workplaces are supposed to provide a means of heating food, also OPs post suggest this is after work/DIY so probably at home.

Back
Top Bottom