Good Freeview box ?

Associate
I've got a Sony VTX-D800U, not sure if you can still get it because I think it's been discontinued but I've never had any problems with it. It was pricey in comparison to what you can get others for though.

Caporegime
OP
malolo said:
I've got a Sony VTX-D800U, not sure if you can still get it because I think it's been discontinued but I've never had any problems with it. It was pricey in comparison to what you can get others for though.

That's the one i was looking for, my sister has that in her flat and its about £80 IIR. Googled it now and nowhere seems to stock it. :(

Soldato
Tesco Digilogic box- £30.

Boxes are manufactured by Matsui over in Turkey.
Software is written in Bristol, UK.

Therefore, the software is excellent, very fast and works very well.

The best box I have used is the Sony mentioned above but they are tricky to find now and not everyone can justify spending almost £100 on one.

The other alternative would be to go for Freesat.

Soldato
malolo said:

Same one I've got - great stb but as mentioned, was £80 which is a bit steep.

Caporegime
I've got the Wharfedale DV832B which only costs £29.99 now. It's quite small, it looks a lot nicer than most freeview boxes and the interface is very easy to use. The only thing it doesn't have is the ability to rearrange the channel listings.

Soldato
I'd get the Durabrand one from Asda. I forget the model number but its the one that you can stand upright.

For £23.97 its an absolute bargain and has 7 day EPG, favourites etc. It has crashed a few times on me but not as much as a previous Sagem box(s) i'd had.

edit//

Saying that, i may have to exchange my current box over the weekend. It has a strange habit that, when left unplugged overnight, it loses all its channels in the morning and i have to rescan. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Sony VTX-D800U is absolutely superb. The best freeview box out there.

Great interface, fast response, nice picture quality. Also seems to handle lower signal strengths better than cheaper boxes.

Get one 2nd hand if you have to! I've played with a fair few sub-£50 boxes and none of them come close, despite being made my well known people (Panasonic, Philips etc..)

Soldato
Tesla said:
The best box I have used is the Sony mentioned above but they are tricky to find now and not everyone can justify spending almost £100 on one.

My Dad has one.

Before that he had a cheapo Thomson one. He suffered terrible signal corruption with the Thomson.. picture breakup and corruption all the time.

He's had no such problems with the Sony.

Associate
Well I saw the title and thought I would recommend the unit I use just incase nobody has, it's a Sony VTX-D800U :D
I had decided this evening to get another one, must say I'm not happy to hear it's not being made anymore. What's that about then eh!

Soldato
I bought a Philips 200/05 from Asda for thirty odd quid the other day, bit more than the generic ones, but does come with a Scart lead supplied. Seems great, not had any problems so far, menus are nice and quick, and the picture quality is top notch.

Have seen some reports of it crashing, but so far, so good.

Associate
netgem iplayer+ is fast, well specified, decent picture & audio too.

If you like to play you can use it to access email and the web
by modem and (with a suitable adapter) your broadband.

Gets good reviews which is nice1

Soldato
I can recommend the Panasonic TU-CT41 as a reasonable box, I had one for a while as a stop gap before we got NTL cable. Like most freeview boxes its not perfect but it did the job for me quite nicely.

I've seen them at bargain prices just recently so if you shop around a bit you should be able to pick one up for less than £50.

Soldato
I've got the Sony VTX-D800U, and it is superb. It doesn't look like a cheap and nasty piece of tat either, which is a bonus.

My dad went through 3 cheapo boxes which only seemed to last a couple of months or so, then he got the Sony and was amazed at the difference - even with bog standard scart leads...

Back
Top Bottom