Good shoes?

Associate
Used to love the classic Northampton shoemakers like Edward Green and John Lobb. Sadly their prices have increased 4-5x in the last 10 yrs or so turning a luxury into a folly. Meermin are OK, decent quality and up maybe 2x in price in the same period. Getting old :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
There are some nice designs on etsy. Custom made ones. Probably "never see another pair" type of thing.

1fbQ9BC.jpg

I've worn DM shoes for a number of years now. I was buying a pair every year or so from Amazon. I would buy steel toe capped ones and I found them instantly comfortable and they lasted well. My last pair lasted a number of years mostly due to lockdowns and WFH stuff.

I went to buy another pair recently and found these no longer available to buy from Amazon. I went on the DM website and they didn't have this style any more. I had to choose a pair which was £50 more and lacked steel toe caps.

They arrived and I tried them on. They were a good fit but I found they had removed the padding around the top heel part. It did start to rub my lower ankle after a short while. I also found while walking, my right foot would really start to hurt on the sole and I could only walk around half the steps I usually did due to pain. I choose to buy some padded insoles and this resolve that issue. Wearing in over three or more weeks stopped the ankle pain.

A few months on and these shoes are nowhere near as well made as previously and quite uncomfortable. I don't know how long these will last, I guess I'll see but this is my last pair I'll be buying. They seemed to have cheapened the products recently and nearly doubled the price. I understand they are being made elsewhere, probably at a reduced cost to them, but the quality has dropped to beyond what it OK.

I might look at Clarks next time.

Soldato
Since moving over here I have resisted RM Williams for years. I have had Loakes, Dm's, Timberlands, Rockports, Clarkes, Ted Baker, Paul Smith. None have impressed me too much and worn out with everyday work use plus some wandering around on construction sites. The company I work for negotiate a 25% discount with RM Williams, I bought 2 pairs nearly 4 years ago and they look almost as good as new. Pains me to say it but they are the best I have ever had. Expensive but well worth it.

Man of Honour
In the vein of Loake I've been buying Dune/Dune London for formal shoes/boots but they aren't my first choice for stuff I'm putting a lot of miles on.

Man of Honour
I've worn DM shoes for a number of years now. I was buying a pair every year or so from Amazon. I would buy steel toe capped ones and I found them instantly comfortable and they lasted well. My last pair lasted a number of years mostly due to lockdowns and WFH stuff.

I went to buy another pair recently and found these no longer available to buy from Amazon. I went on the DM website and they didn't have this style any more. I had to choose a pair which was £50 more and lacked steel toe caps.

They arrived and I tried them on. They were a good fit but I found they had removed the padding around the top heel part. It did start to rub my lower ankle after a short while. I also found while walking, my right foot would really start to hurt on the sole and I could only walk around half the steps I usually did due to pain. I choose to buy some padded insoles and this resolve that issue. Wearing in over three or more weeks stopped the ankle pain.

A few months on and these shoes are nowhere near as well made as previously and quite uncomfortable. I don't know how long these will last, I guess I'll see but this is my last pair I'll be buying. They seemed to have cheapened the products recently and nearly doubled the price. I understand they are being made elsewhere, probably at a reduced cost to them, but the quality has dropped to beyond what it OK.

I might look at Clarks next time.
Take a look at Solovair and see if they have the same design. As mentioned earlier, Solovair used to be the production company for DM before they were offshored.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
OP
Perfect for the OP then.

Hohohoho
Lol. Not sure what posts you’ve been reading. about as far from either as I could be :p
Some great recommendations I will check out.
style wise, from Loake, the Roehampton or Sedburgh styles, so more ankle boot and slightly chunky.
I wear smart casual to work so they need to look reasonably smart, so not distressed finishes etc, but something I can wear with jeans as well.
Some of the Solovair look nice as well.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
OP
So, I’ve ordered a pair from Solovair.
It’s from their outlet, so hopefully a cheaper way to get a nice pair of boots, i tend to find comfier as well as shoes rub my ankles.

Really also fancy a pair of the heavier style in ox blood or dark blue but really not sure I’m the person to carry off that look :p

Soldato
More expensive shoes will last longer than cheaper shoes. This is fact.

If you want the best "smart" shoes buy Churches. Look after them. Clean them with proper polish regularly. Keep them with proper shoe trees in them when not in use. They will last you for years.

Back
Top Bottom