Good silent PSU?

Associate
The Seasonic S12 600W would probably be your best best if you're willing to pay for it. I've never used it myself but everyone here seems to think that it's about as quiet as you'll get without going for a fanless PSU.

Permabanned
OP
Aidoscuz said:
The Seasonic S12 600W would probably be your best best if you're willing to pay for it. I've never used it myself but everyone here seems to think that it's about as quiet as you'll get without going for a fanless PSU.

Thx, ill check the reviews.. :)

Seems decent, wiring seems a little messy compared to some but they appear to ship wire wrap and cable ties with the PSU which is always handy..

bit pricey, does it warrent the price tag ?

Last edited:
Associate
I've heard that it's a brilliant PSU in all areas, almost silent, really stable, reliable, etc. It probably is worth the money.

That said, I really like my Hiper Type-R 580 watt. It's really good value, has modular cables and sounds pretty damn quiet to me. It's been rock solid for me in terms of stability since I got it. It gets a fair bit of abuse on these forums though, I must say I can't see why.

The Tagan 580W Easycon Modular and Enermax Liberty 620W Modular some other good options for good quiet PSUs, plus the Tagan is a bit cheaper than the others.

kbc

kbc

Associate
Get a Seasonic S12 600W, I have one in my system, it's pretty quiet, considering it is drowned out by the graphics card fan. The PSU is recognised for its ultra efficiency. It's shipped with plastic cables ties and those spiral cable wrap.

Associate
i'd avoid the hiper 580W if silence is really your key goal

lots of reviews say it makes weird noises under full load

my personal experience is it's almost silent with the exception of a "HUMM" sound.

you can however eliminate this by applying presure to the PSU with a heavy book ontop for example.

Associate
I have both, a seasonic and a hiper.

when the pc is under full load, the hiper does start to make a humming noise, and i thnink the ball bearings are known to go in the fans and they start to make a screetching noise.

I use the seasonic, and as i said before id recommened this for you.

Permabanned
OP
Well I just got it today, installation went well but the rails on this PSU are awful. 12v = 11.580 /3.3v = 3.2/ 5v = 4.8. ... This IS a 600W PSU right? :confused:

Soldato
Tagan for the win :D sorry but tagan/seasonic/Fsp(fortron) are THE 3 makes to use, if not enermax are ok, however Tagan is silent from personal usage of 3 of their models i recommend any from their brand (except modular - havnt tried) all 3 of mine 420 I, 480, 580 all have Excellent rails with some pretty hefty kit in there

i would stay away from hiper mate ;)

on another note the rails shouldnt be that low ? i havnt used seasonic but always hear people go on about them :rolleyes:

Permabanned
OP
Well Now I'm really ****** off, im getting blue screens while playing games ! I just spent £100 on this POS and spent an hour installing it.. 600w? Yeah right.. :mad:

No swearing.

Otacon

Permabanned
OP
Well I'm back with my old Antec Truepower 2.0, nice stable rails with no blue screens..

Now to try and get a refund on this POS seasonic, no way its a 600w PSU... .... :mad:

Associate
i seen a few people complaining about rails are to low
might look stable running a few components i.e 1 hard disc 1 dvd rom
but if you got 6 hard discs raid card 2 dvd writers fans lights and its low, then psu is crap if its meant to be rated 600watts.

or its just a faulty unit

Associate
I agree with Aidoscuz. My Seasonic, so far, has been rock solid. I've had both an Enermax and an Antec fail before. I won't say I won't ever buy from either though, it just seem to happen.
It doesn't get much quieter than the Seasonic though, without going Hybrid/Passive.

Permabanned
OP
Well my system does draw allot of power but still 11.586 on 12V and 3.1 on the 3.3V is just awful no way was my system gonna remain stable like that. Probably would have got better rails from a Q-Tec. :p

Little ****** I have to return it, complete waste of an afternoon. :(

No swearing.

Otacon

Back
Top Bottom