Good Spec? Improvements?

Soldato
Hey guys, here's a spec I did up for my manager today. Basically I'm trying to show him that building your own PC is better then getting one from hell.

I came up with a spec from here and a spec from hell. Both are similiar, 4GB RAM, hell has E6600 mine has E6320, same speakers, hell has a 8800GTX though while mine has the 2900XT.

Both come out roughly at €2100. Have a look at both and let me know if I can make improvements anywhere on the spec from here. Ideally I'd like to get a spec that is as good as the hell but cheaper. It might be hard to really persuade him that even the motherboard alone will make it perform much better nevermind the overclocking and the much faster RAM.

Anyway here are the two specs:

ocuksystemji2.png

dellsystemjn2.png

EDIT: Am I allowed to say hell? Is it okay to say it if you despise them with all your heart?

EDIT2: Best to be on the safe side :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Go with cheaper ram - may as well do like for like or you won't beat the Dell price. The E6600 and 8800GTX are going to make a hell of a lot more difference than ram latencies.

Soldato
You'll find buying & building yourself will come out (slightly) more expensive. That said, you have more control on which components to buy/use especially mobo, case & PSU. Don't forget also the added fun of building it yourself :)

EDIT

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I did say that the CPU I picked will come out much faster then the E6600 in the dell.

Also The Geil RAM is quite cheap for what you get. I've pushed mine up to 900mhz 1:1 ratio which is what I'll be looking for with this system.

I was just amazed at how much Office cost. I got it free! ;)

He's paranoid about getting his licenses checked though.

The E6600 and 8800GTX are going to make a hell of a lot more difference than ram latencies.

It's not just RAM latencies. The dell RAM is crappy 667mhz stuff. Geil will be running at 900mhz with any luck. CPU will be running at 3.15 hopefully same as the one in my rig.

Soldato
Darg said:
I did say that the CPU I picked will come out much faster then the E6600 in the dell.

Also The Geil RAM is quite cheap for what you get. I've pushed mine up to 900mhz 1:1 ratio which is what I'll be looking for with this system.

Fine, what about the graphics card then?

Soldato
OP
sr4470 said:
Fine, what about the graphics card then?

That's the one spot where the dell pips the OCUK spec. I think that overall though the ocuk spec will perform better. Better motherboard, ram, cpu and chipset = goodness.

I know which one I'd get anyway!

Associate
if your boss isn't pc savvy then I'd suggest he buys the dell one. There's nothing worse than getting phonecalls out of the blue. He will expect support from you at every turn.

Back
Top Bottom