Good techniques to get good with C#?

Soldato
Step 1. Download and install Visual Studio.

Then realise it's a lot to take in with lots and lots of buttons.

Step 2. Learn about 'Console Apps'. This is a quick way to follow some examples. Eg. 'enter your name', 'enter your age'. In 20 years time Andrew, you'll be 57'.

Then try and program something to add two numbers together.

Then try and program a calculator based application.

Simple steps and learn to debug.

Associate
OP
Working through the basics isn't too difficult with a bit of perseverance imo. But when doing projects if you don't have a clue what to do where would you go to seek help? forums?

Soldato
Forums help but note that the solutions are not always the best, although developers always argue over "what's better" :). The rating system some of the forums/sites have does help determine what the better solution probably is. I can remember someone arguing my method of using "Hello " + firstName was not as good as string.Concat("Hello ", firstName) to achieve the same thing but actually when compiled it's exactly the same instruction(s) apparently. As I've done a lot of perl scripting, using the + is just so easy to me rather than using the string.concat method.

I'm a big fan of Pluralsight and books but also working with others is quite necessary too to become real good. For a hobbyist that doesn't matter too much. Professionally it's good to learn from others and help others learn and just to see how others do things is great.

Visiual Studio is a fantastic IDE that's one thing for sure :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Voting systems only show what is popular opinion. Yes, this is often the "correct" answer but do be wary and don't blindly accept the answer(s) without digging a bit yourself. I've seen plenty of StackOverflow answers that are demonstrably wrong (usually in another answer added later) be the highest voted (by far) answer. People tend to also pile-on the up/down votes just because it is already up/down voted.

Back
Top Bottom