Goodbye clean license

Man of Honour
I've just had my NIP through :(

I was coming back from Cornwall and got flashed on the A30.

Now the question is: Am I just looking at a fixed penalty or more?

Here's the details from the NIP:
A30 'B' Eastbound Fingle Glen, Tedburn St Mary (MP 183.8), Exceed Speed Limit 70MPH Dual Carrageway (Unmanned Camera), (70 MPH), at 22.55 on 14-Sep-2006 Vehicle Speed 87MPH.

So court summons or fixed penalty?

Burnsy

On the NIP doesn't it say what the usual fine for that type of offence is?

Mine did, something like:

"The usual prosecution for this offence, results in a conditional 3 point penalty and a £60 fine.

iCraig said:
On the NIP doesn't it say what the usual fine for that type of offence is?

Mine did, something like:

"The usual prosecution for this offence, results in a conditional 3 point penalty and a £60 fine.

Mine didn't on the NIP, it did on the letter I got sent to me AFTER I signed and returned the NIP.

OT, but you do you remember being caught at all? i went to cornwall on monday the 11th, was belting along when i noticed some cameras, im hoping that ive not been caught too :(

Matt82 said:
OT, but you do you remember being caught at all? i went to cornwall on monday the 11th, was belting along when i noticed some cameras, im hoping that ive not been caught too :(

Yes, it was at night (absolutely clear) and the flash was pretty obvious. I was quite lucky really, I was crusing at 110mph (its mostly downhill).

Burnsy

unlucky chap. there are some lovely roads out there, shame some people cannot drive sensibly and lumber others with cameras :(

Ive almost been caught on the same stretch of road.

Come back from cornwall to exeter at about 5am. sun was just coming up so good visibilty. clear road. straight :/

and bam! speed camera :( warped a disc slowing down for it. think i must've been very lucky :D

So what happened to the get out clause of not signing and returning the papers?. And is there any other way of disputing the points? (I too got flashed a few days ago :(, bout 42 in a 30).

benneh said:
So what happened to the get out clause of not signing and returning the papers?. And is there any other way of disputing the points? (I too got flashed a few days ago :(, bout 42 in a 30).

I quote from the FAQ that came with the NIP:

Q. I have been told that I have no requirement to sign the Notice of Intended Prosecution
A. Anyone refusing to sign, or supply full details on the Notice of Intended Prosecution, will be prosecuted.

Burnsy

burnsy2023 said:
I quote from the FAQ that came with the NIP:

Burnsy

But you're going to be prosecuted none the less arent you?, so where's the threat?. Instead of imposing the maximum fine/penalty they just impose the maximum fine/penalty and work a little harder in the process?. Sure that in its self could give me some satisfaction.. Knowing that they had to do that little bit more. Or do you actually get into a more serious flavour of trouble for not returning the forms?.

I'm not trying to get out of it really.. Obviously I choose to live here so I accept the law/rules. BUT.. This is nothing more than a legalised scam!... Obviously I could go on and tell you that the camera was about 20 yards past a dual carriageway bypass upon which I had been doing 40 and so on and so on, but at the end of the day, yes I will pay/accept points if I have to. I just DO NOT like the sneaky way in which I was caught :).

Last edited:
benneh said:
I just DO NOT like the sneaky way in which I was caught :).
that is the funniest thing i've ever read.
i'm sure those guys that attempted that diamond robbery in the millenium dome felt the same sentiment.
"those police were dressed as cleaners so they could catch us, how unfair."

as for a legalised scam then that's complete rubbish.
did every single driver travelling on that road receive an NIP? no.
therefore the drivers all had a choice in the matter and as such they decided their own fate.
it's not a scam, it's not a rip-off, it's not a conspiracy and OJ wasn't there wearing the glove.
YOU choose how fast you drive and if everyone chose to play by the rules then the cameras would make zero.
you can't blame the consequences of something YOU conciously chose to do on someone else.

Last edited:
hilly said:
Hmmm, I think I could also be in the same boat, think I went through a couple of cameras today, so could well be multiple points in one day !
that's gotta really annoy you though. i know i'd feel pretty angry with myself if that happened.
i can remember reading a story in one of the Transport rags we get sent at work about a guy that lives somewhere on the Scottish border who works in Newcastle upon Tyne.
he left home one morning and was technically banned by the time he got to work after tripping 4 cameras.
christ, you'd be devastated when that paperwork came through the letterbox wouldn't you?
:(

Back
Top Bottom