Goodwood FoS

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Yep I was there Thursday, definitely was the day to go. Rained for about 15 minutes in the morning but just got better and better as the day went on.

Great photos @MacRS4. :cool:

Such a shame for anyone who was booked to be going tomorrow. :(

Soldato
I went on Thursday. So happy the weather held out. Compared to previous years their organisational skills have deteriorated massively. It took us 2 hours to get to our car park, with tailbacks of around 5 miles and none of the marshalls could tell me where our parking was once the signs disappeared.
The race schedule was also a mess, huge gaps between runs and the wrong cars running.
At the supercar paddock, the drivers had no idea if they were going to run or not until a minute before they were due. The marshalls were telling them they "might" be running until the last minute scramble to get ready.

Soldato
OP
Thanks! First time I'd been, and I didn't have all day unfortunately. Didn't experience any of the entrance or exit delays - did see some properly dangerous and insane driving on the way home though....People getting properly carried away.

It was a great event, I've joined up to the membership program and will definitely be going again. Probably better prepared on the photos side - didn't realise how hard it is to photograph stuff moving so quickly across in front of you :rolleyes: Obvious now I think about it.

Soldato
I was driving near there this morning the wind was pretty mild even 2 hours ago :rolleyes: Massive OTT over reaction to cancel all these events :rolleyes:

Soldato
Trouble is, they have to make these decisions early enough to stop people travelling and causing chaos if they arrive at a closed venue.

Usual predictability of weather means all the severe weather warnings in place last night haven't yet amounted to much more than being a bit blustery.

They'd have been in a world of **** though if the place was full and 50mph+ winds were launching display tents into crowds of people, so you can see why they've taken the action they did.

(that said, the wind has really picked up again in Hampshire in the last hour or so)

Associate
Just got back after camping Friday night to go in today. Massive shame but you could see why, the wind was getting pretty mental when we left about 10ish. Saw a few trees come down and damaged parked cars while driving from the site, including one that almost hit my car while we were parked up for breakfast.

Having seen the pictures of the site today plus a fair few damaged tents and stuff in the campsite this morning I think it is the right decision, considering they have to make a decision the day before.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Genuinely disappointed. It's one of the very few motoring events which my wife enjoys, it's one of those rare occasions where I can totally geek out over the vehicles and have her appreciate it. None of this is worth anyone getting injured obviously, totally understand their reasoning.

Soldato
OP
I did wonder if there was potentially an issue about the car parks too given how much rain there was yesterday. I struggled a bit getting out - car park I was in was on a big grass slope, making it interesting.

Same for entrance/exists - all very small tree-lined roads.

Caporegime
I did wonder if there was potentially an issue about the car parks too given how much rain there was yesterday. I struggled a bit getting out - car park I was in was on a big grass slope, making it interesting.

Same for entrance/exists - all very small tree-lined roads.

Probably one of the many factors tbh. I can't imagine all the hay bales being much fun in these winds either.

Soldato
I was driving near there this morning the wind was pretty mild even 2 hours ago :rolleyes: Massive OTT over reaction to cancel all these events :rolleyes:
Thanks Captain Hindsight :rolleyes: :p

The decision was made the day before, when amber warnings were in place for high wind.
If the weather changes 24 hours later, then it’s only possible to go back and reverse the decision if you have a working Time Machine.

The comments from some people on social media is :eek:
Had the event happened and they were injured, these people would be the first in line claiming compo.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks Captain Hindsight :rolleyes: :p

The decision was made the day before, when amber warnings were in place for high wind.
If the weather changes 24 hours later, then it’s only possible to go back and reverse the decision if you have a working Time Machine.

The comments from some people on social media is :eek:
Had the event happened and they were injured, these people would be the first in line claiming compo.

Not to mention the damage that could be caused to some extremely valuable and significant cars that could never be replaced. I doubt the decision was taken lightly.

Soldato
Just got back home - such an epic day!
Since I last went in 2004 it’s expanded massively, to the point where it’s too busy. They really need to reduce the numbers, maybe charge more and cut back the max attendance.

Soldato
I live 5 miles from Goodwood and Saturday was a much better day than Friday regarding the weather. It wasn't that windy.
But, Goodwood being on a hill and out in the open, I expect the gusts were a lot stronger.
A lot of the locals said the traffic was the worst they've seen in 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom