Google Glass update thread.

Man of Honour
No harder than grabbing the phone out of someone's hands.

Yes, but you'd have the Glass on all the time, therefore it's visible and easy to identify you as a target.

More often than not, your phone is in your pocket (when you're in the street, anyway).

Soldato
Yes, but you'd have the Glass on all the time, therefore it's visible and easy to identify you as a target.

More often than not, your phone is in your pocket (when you're in the street, anyway).

Walk around town/go on the train/be in a shop and look just how many people have their phones out! Could probably grab a hundred phones in an hour around leeds, easily. Maybe it's different over there :p

Caporegime
Are you trolling? I wear my glasses for 18 hours a day. Explain why you would need to wear them while sleeping?

it was obviously an exaggeration.

point still stands though.

i do not wear glasses, why would i wear these? also these are going to be a lot bulkier than normal glasses, cannot see the technology being added and making zero difference to a normal set of glasses.

they will be expensive.

therefore i do not see this tech taking off until it is much much more refined in say 50 years time.

Man of Honour
50 years time?! What are you expecting them to do? :confused:

I can see uses for them, you can record what you're doing, see things on them, etc.

Certainly not a 'must have' product but then most things aren't.

Soldato
I agree with Psycho Sonny, I'm a glasses wearer (contacts don't agree with me) and although I can see the use for this and would like it, the technology would have to improve vastly before I thought of integrating it with my prescription lenses. A few things:

1. Constantly having to re-focus my eyes on the read out.
2. weight.
3. Battery life - I'd be expecting several weeks of use, not a day or two.
4. Wireless/bluetooth - no I want full 3G/4G capability, not having to tether or look for hotspot. That's assuming the network coverage for 3G/4G is improved in rural areas.
5. Cost - My current glasses can be made for about £70 at a local opticians, why would I want to spent hundreds of pounds extra (assuming costs do drop) to integrate google glass?

Great idea, but our technology simply isn't there yet. Give it 20 years.

Soldato
I agree with Psycho Sonny, I'm a glasses wearer (contacts don't agree with me) and although I can see the use for this and would like it, the technology would have to improve vastly before I thought of integrating it with my prescription lenses. A few things:

1. Constantly having to re-focus my eyes on the read out.
2. weight.
3. Battery life - I'd be expecting several weeks of use, not a day or two.
4. Wireless/bluetooth - no I want full 3G/4G capability, not having to tether or look for hotspot. That's assuming the network coverage for 3G/4G is improved in rural areas.
5. Cost - My current glasses can be made for about £70 at a local opticians, why would I want to spent hundreds of pounds extra (assuming costs do drop) to integrate google glass?

Great idea, but our technology simply isn't there yet. Give it 20 years.

1. Do we even know whether you have to do that?
2. I can't see it being uncomfortably heavy.
3. Not much, if any, worse than a modern mobile phone.
4. Fair enough, but no doubt that will be added soon enough.
5. Because they aren't just glasses? Why would they cost even close to a normal pair of glasses when they have so much functionality. Functionality that you happily spend hundreds of pounds on to have in your pocket.

Man of Honour
Regarding battery life, whilst having weeks of battery life would be nice I don't see it as necessary right now.

Everyone has to sleep and you'll take your glasses off, wireless charging already exists so resting them on a bedside table I imagine would be no different. I don't wear glasses but I'm guessing that's what most do.

Associate
These look very cool!

Lol @ people moaning they will cost more then normal prescription glasses and battery life must be weeks. Of course there cost more then glasses and why not charge them nightly like smartphones unless you want to sleep with them on your face?.. Morons?

Soldato
1. Do we even know whether you have to do that?
2. I can't see it being uncomfortably heavy.
3. Not much, if any, worse than a modern mobile phone.
4. Fair enough, but no doubt that will be added soon enough.
5. Because they aren't just glasses? Why would they cost even close to a normal pair of glasses when they have so much functionality. Functionality that you happily spend hundreds of pounds on to have in your pocket.

2 - Glasses wearers will know that weight is 90% of the problem with them, any increase has to be justified. I'd hate to increase the weight of my glasses, I do anything I can to decrease it.

5 - See above, there's downsides to this, increased weight and arguably a blind spot created in the top right of your peripheral vision. Added functionality yes, but as yet none of it is particularly useful, tie it into voice control and access to bank accounts etc and I can see it becoming "must have" but at the moment it's all just fluff.

Soldato
I'm a glasses wearer and weight is more like 10% of the problem with them.

Not useful? I see things every day i wish i could have taken a photo of but either i don't have my phone on me or it was a split second thing that i couldn't have been fast enough to get my phone out.

Caporegime
I'm a glasses wearer and weight is more like 10% of the problem with them.

Not useful? I see things every day i wish i could have taken a photo of but either i don't have my phone on me or it was a split second thing that i couldn't have been fast enough to get my phone out.

your missing the whole point.

people hate glasses. end of.

why do people wear contacts? why do people get laser surgery done?

i have perfect vision, why would anyone like me want to wear glasses?

these are a gimmick, nothing more.

as for not being fast enough, you still have to tell the glasses to take the picture, therefore, if you see something, there is still a delay, unless they make a version which constantly records, which is going to need huge amounts of data, which is never going to be viable in the near future.

anyway, i cannot see a single person who doesn't wear glasses who will buy this unless they are a skydiver or something along those lines who records things they do in a regular basis, or a scientist, etc.

for the normal average person, glasses will never be a viable option.

Soldato
your missing the whole point. No, i think you're the one missing the point.

people hate glasses. end of. That's why millions of hipsters wear glasses with no lenses in. That's why people still wear glasses when alternatives are available. You are one person speaking for the entirety of the non glasses wearing population, good job.

why do people wear contacts? why do people get laser surgery done? Because they have a preference? Because contacts and laser surgery do the same job of glasses. If contacts had the functionality of glass too, would you be asking why not everyone has laser surgery?

i have perfect vision, why would anyone like me want to wear glasses? Why would anyone like you want to wear Google Glass.* Big difference you seem to be purposefully oblivious to.

these are a gimmick, nothing more. No they aren't.

as for not being fast enough, you still have to tell the glasses to take the picture, therefore, if you see something, there is still a delay, unless they make a version which constantly records, which is going to need huge amounts of data, which is never going to be viable in the near future. In the lake district last summer i pulled my phone out and managed to take a <1 second video of a fighter jet. With glass it would have been nearer 5 seconds, and a better video.

anyway, i cannot see a single person who doesn't wear glasses who will buy this unless they are a skydiver or something along those lines who records things they do in a regular basis, or a scientist, etc. I think you are being purposefully obtuse.

for the normal average person, glasses will never be a viable option. You have got to be kidding me.

Soldato
personally, i think these will never take off, it is a tech demo, look at what can be done type thing.

who in their right mind is going to wear glasses 24/7?

remember the whole 3D tv debacle, we have a 3D tv, i have used it once since owning it with the glasses. i would rather just watch the 2D version tbh.

If they come in prescription with a mat mirror lens like gunny Ermey's me, I'll take my chances with the muggers like I do with all my other desirable stuff, hopefully it will be years before I score highly in a muggers victim acquisition procedure, + they'll be insured :p

Soldato
Hmmmn I propose a poll:

1) I wear glasses/contacts all day and would use google glass at the right price
2) I wear glasses for certain uses (eg. driving, computer work) and use google glass at the right price
3) I don't wear glasses and would use google glass
4) I wear glasses and wouldn't use google glass
5) I don't wear glasses and wouldn't use google glass

edit: I vote number 2

Caporegime
Hmmmn I propose a poll:

1) I wear glasses/contacts all day and would use google glass at the right price
2) I wear glasses for certain uses (eg. driving, computer work) and use google glass at the right price
3) I don't wear glasses and would use google glass
4) I wear glasses and wouldn't use google glass
5) I don't wear glasses and wouldn't use google glass

edit: I vote number 2

even if they are substantially bigger and weigh 10 times as much as a normal pair of glasses?

Back
Top Bottom