Google Home

Permabanned
OP
For those waiting for the Google Home Mini, perhaps news from the US might well apply here from tomorrow's announcement. The $ 50 Mini has appeared early on WalMart for pre-order with a 19 October delivery date. From that listing, we now know that the weight of the Mini is less than a pound and the dimensions are 4.5 by 4.5 by 4.7 inches. What we do not know is its audio capabilities but Walmart calls it a "powerful little helper."

Because Google operates Google Express, its shopping delivery service in many US cities, Walmart, which recently teamed with Google to offer voice ordering on Home, has cut the price of the Mini to $ 24 when you use their $ 25 discount on all shopping orders between launch and 15 Jan 2018.

Can we ever look forward to a similar service with Google Home here?

Permabanned
OP
Hands free calling on Google Home, currently free in US and Canada is coming to the UK later this year!

And so much more integration with Nest including Nest Hello that offers Familiar Faces and broadcasts who it is through Home.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whats peoples thoughts on The Google Home Max speaker?

As these (im hoping) will be on par with a Sonos Play 1 can you just put these around the house and get Google Home and a Descent speaker all in one? Saves having a Google Home and a Sonos next to each other......

I was leaning towards using Alexa with Sonos but with this announcement im thinking about going with Google just to kill two birds with one stone.

POB

POB

Soldato
Whats peoples thoughts on The Google Home Max speaker?

As these (im hoping) will be on par with a Sonos Play 1 can you just put these around the house and get Google Home and a Descent speaker all in one? Saves having a Google Home and a Sonos next to each other......

I was leaning towards using Alexa with Sonos but with this announcement im thinking about going with Google just to kill two birds with one stone.
At that price point I'd be hoping for better then Sonos Play 1 more like a Play 3?

Associate
Interested in dipping my toe in the water with a mini. Have a Chromecast set up through my TV (which has sound system). Can I play Spotify through a 'tv chromecast' using home or just 'speaker chromecasts'?

Permabanned
OP
Interested in dipping my toe in the water with a mini. Have a Chromecast set up through my TV (which has sound system). Can I play Spotify through a 'tv chromecast' using home or just 'speaker chromecasts'?

I use Google Play Music but Spotify is an option too with Home (have Chromecast as well).

Associate
I use Google Play Music but Spotify is an option too with Home (have Chromecast as well).

Thanks sesevans, can Spotify specifically be played through a Chromecast that is hooked up to my TV and not a Chromecast Audio, via home? I'm guessing it can and it doesn't explicitly need to be a Chromecast Audio, but just wanted to make sure.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks sesevans, can Spotify specifically be played through a Chromecast that is hooked up to my TV and not a Chromecast Audio, via home? I'm guessing it can and it doesn't explicitly need to be a Chromecast Audio, but just wanted to make sure.
Also interested in this. Currently using a Chromecast Audio but will update to a standard Chromecast when I buy a new AVR.

Soldato
Looks like you can. He seems to play video first (so presumably using a Chromecast, not CA) then here he plays from GPM and Pandora; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXHNuHSkIGA&t=259s

Permabanned
OP
Alexa or GHome?

Which is better for home intergration? I need to take the plunge but want teh right system to power the whole house...

I have the following items hooked up through GH already and they work great:

Phillips Smart Lights / Hue
Nest Thermostat
Smarter Kettle (3rd generation)

Google mentioned they have 1,000 partners now on GH (admittedly mostly in the US) but growing rapidly. And by the way, every review I have read says GH better on search, translation and by the end of this year, you will have the ability to make phone calls using Home. I appreciate however these are not your primary concerns. Sound quality on the original GH is superb.

Google ownership of Nest would swing it for me if I were in your shoes. Look out for the new Nest Hello doorbell soon.

Soldato
No problem. The girlfriend actually showed some interest in the Google Home as we want to replace the mini radio in the kitchen :o Does anyone know what the difference in sound quality is like from the original Home to the new Mini? I think I actually prefer the look of the original Home, or is that simply old news now? Has it been updated this year?

Permabanned
OP
No problem. The girlfriend actually showed some interest in the Google Home as we want to replace the mini radio in the kitchen :o Does anyone know what the difference in sound quality is like from the original Home to the new Mini? I think I actually prefer the look of the original Home, or is that simply old news now? Has it been updated this year?

If when you ask if the original Home has been updated you are referring to appearance only, the answer is yes. While the size and shape is the same now that it was when it launched a year ago, it was offered with the ability to change to bottom half through a few different colours and even with a metallic strip. Check the Home official site for these variations. If you mean have the services, routines, and ability to do more and better things changed, the answer is a definite yes.

Back
Top Bottom