Google Maps vs. Apple Maps

Associate
As title really. Making my way back into the Apple ecosystem. How do these apps stack up these days? Is everyone just using Google maps. Are there any tight integrations you loose out due to this?

Soldato
Apple Maps has better integration with Apple products (obviously), and it works pretty well in major areas e.g. London. Google Maps is still the better all rounder.

Soldato
It wasn’t clear to me, from Googling, why that’s the case…
For me, the two significant points are:
  • It's more consistent no matter where you are.
  • More complete, up-to-date and actively reviewed locations.
Even using it in London, where it's probably at its best, I've had situations where public transport schedules aren't as up-to-date as with Google.

Google just has more data and make better use of it, similar to how Siri manages basic tasks OK, but most people would rather use Google.

Soldato
Google maps blows it out the water, I regularly go fishing all over and google maps takes you right there if you just google the fishery. Apple Maps on the other hand doesn’t.

AM is pointless if it only works in major cities.

Associate
I traded my iPhone 13 Pro Max for a Pixel 7 Pro. I upgraded to the latest iphone every year for as long as I can remember so I'm not an Android fanboy. But apple maps let me down so many times when using it on long trips or couldn't find places which were in Google maps that there is no going back for me.

Apple also used to have the best hardware but I have to say that my pixel doesn't feel like a downgrade.

Soldato
I traded my iPhone 13 Pro Max for a Pixel 7 Pro. I upgraded to the latest iphone every year for as long as I can remember so I'm not an Android fanboy. But apple maps let me down so many times when using it on long trips or couldn't find places which were in Google maps that there is no going back for me.

Apple also used to have the best hardware but I have to say that my pixel doesn't feel like a downgrade.

Or just use google maps like everyone else.

Soldato
What type of fishing? (off topic)

I would say it depends what you want it for. Basic navigation they both do a good job.

Recently I’ve been mainly doing trout fishery’s in Scotland. Lot of remote stuff that’s off what appears to be random country roads.

I’m hoping to go further up north to some time this year I’m wanting to head up further north to loch Garry to give the salmon fishing up there a go.

Permabanned
Recently I’ve been mainly doing trout fishery’s in Scotland. Lot of remote stuff that’s off what appears to be random country roads.

I’m hoping to go further up north to some time this year I’m wanting to head up further north to loch Garry to give the salmon fishing up there a go.

You do fly fishing? Not really done pure trout or salmon fishing.

Soldato
Google maps for me despite having a Mac and using an iPhone. If just works better and is more consistent across platforms. I don't see any benefit to Apple Maps given any app or software that wants to access or send you a location works with google maps in addition to Apple Maps if both are installed.

Man of Honour

You traded a phone in because of Apple Maps? A phone which you can install Google maps onto? Hilarious.

Associate
You traded a phone in because of Apple Maps? A phone which you can install Google maps onto? Hilarious.
I found myself mainly in the Google software ecosystem because the Apple offerings were less functional, plus the quality gap between Google and Apple phones is negligible now. Also, considering I ended up paying £100's less for the Pixel 7 Pro than the iPhone 14 Pro Max, it's hilarious that you're paying for an Apple logo.

Anyhow, this thread is specifically about Google vs Apple maps, and the consensus seems to be favouring Google.

Associate
OP
I don't see any benefit to Apple Maps given any app or software that wants to access or send you a location works with google maps in addition to Apple Maps if both are installed.
This was kind of what the question was about. I was wondering if there was a tight integration of feature I’d be missing out on if I Didn’t use Apple Maps.

Have the same question for Apple Mail vs. Gmail on iPad and iPhone…from a search it looks like you loose instant notifications if you don’t use the official app…

Back
Top Bottom