Google Maps vs. Apple Maps

Soldato
I have both on my phone but just the mail app on the iPad.

I rarely use the gmail app unless it’s to search for emails as the mail search is dire. One thing that is annoying about the mail app is you can’t add pictures as an attachment it always goes inline which does my head in as a lot of companies i email can’t view them.

Soldato
Mail app on iOS is basic (as in basically ****), I use it, but anytime I want to do anything more serious I use the gmail app.

But yeah most apps if you click on a email address or whoever you get a choice as to what gets launched.

Same with mapping. I use an app for finding padel games. If I click on a club in the app and location I choose whether the directions are sent to Apple Maps or google. Similarly with Gaia and others, if I click a point and want to routing to it, I can choose which app the location opens up in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Google Maps every time. Apple Maps is improving, but it’s a tangle of geodata and satellite images purchased from dozens of different sources and mashed together.

There was a fleet of white vans (mix of LHD and RHD) purchased by Apple Maps that sit in a car park near their Stockley Park office for 18 months before they disappeared off somewhere. No idea if they ever got used.

Associate
OP
I’m coming from Android (I’m guessing you can tell).

I’ve spotted that you can use iCloud email with your own domain…if migration is actually possible and I migrate…does that make it any better?

I used keep for notes and reminders and Google calendar…does the same thing apply here about integration or should I migrate to the apple versions?

Associate
Personally I find Apple Maps the better in terms of its clarity of directions, clarity of maps, and actual routing. However its key flaw its mentioned by others that it generally fails to get me where I want to be. If you have a specific postcode or line / street address its great. It's when you just put in a place name (Say "Chatsworth House") for example. It gets all the routing spot on, but normally ends up taking you to some kind of obscure back entrance. It sort of gets you close enough, but its certainly frustrating. Google is certainly the better at simply sticking in a placef name and it getting you there specifically.

I find I can work around this by googling the specific address of the place I want to go and putting that in Apple Maps. When doing that its never let me know, and I then much prefer it to the overall way google works.

Commissario
I tried 'em both over the weekend for some navigation. Yes, I'm sure they both have good databases but I didn't feel that either of them were as good as the TomTom that's built into my car. TomTom consistently gave me better routing, was more accurate on planned arrival time and it displays the current speed, something that neither Google Maps or Apple Maps seem able to do.

I tend to look at Google Earth if I'm going somewhere, find the exact lat/long of my destination and add that as a favourite within TomTom.

Man of Honour
I didn't feel that either of them were as good as the TomTom that's built into my car. TomTom consistently gave me better routing, was more accurate on planned arrival time and it displays the current speed, something that neither Google Maps or Apple Maps seem able to do.
Why didn't you buy a car with a speedo? :confused:

Commissario
Why didn't you buy a car with a speedo? :confused:
It was cheaper. But seriously, navigation software that doesn't show the speed? That's frankly ridiculous.
Also, they both show the current speed limit. Apple Maps doesn't have a clue. It thought the speed limit on a major dual carriageway that's been there for years was 50mph when it's not, it's 70mph and it's always been 70mph. Also Apple Maps doesn't seem to understand mini roundabouts, there are three nearby and it didn't show any of them.

It's Feek. Unless it was an Apple car he won't like it.
Behave :p

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I used Apple Maps while in London this weekend and I found it easier to use the walking navigation. Also liked the way My Guides works. Also surprised that a friends house was on AM but Google didn’t have the street (it’s a new build).

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
The UK is getting another round of updates on Apple Maps.

Apple Maps Image Collection

Might give it another go once the work is done.
This is good because AM doesn’t appear to know what is a small roundabout and so just treats them as a junction here.

Here is the double roundabout in Bletchley. AM doesn’t see them as roundabouts so it’s very confusing. This is why I’d never use AM for a serious trip. Also the traffic data isn’t quite as a good as Google.

IMG-1260.jpg

IMG-1259.jpg

Last edited:

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I solely use Apple Maps for directions. I only have Google maps still for the odd time I want to check Google reviews.

Always felt like I was getting A/B tested when it came to traffic with Google and always got the bum deal.

Associate
There's been quite a few new roads built around here in the past 6-12 months, about a month after a road is opened Google Maps is usually up to date, Apple Maps (TomTom data?) still has no idea about them

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom