Google Messages won't send pics?

Soldato
My texting app the phone came with does, no idea why> I cleared cach & force stopped GM, no good. LG stopped macking phones so the app prob. has no updates, plus GM texts over Wifi. Plus GM has a lot more features.

Associate
You prob have set your billing account on your mobile network to not let you send picture mms messages as they cost about 50p each! Login to whoever your network provider is and check your account / settings.

Soldato
If it works with the stock texting app then it should already have the correct APN settings for MMS. Is Google Messages set as default? Is chat features enabled? Perhaps it's trying to send the picture as RCS and not properly falling back, turn it off so it's MMS.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It'll just revert to normal texts (SMS) and MMS (media, group messages, etc). RCS is just a fancier, newer protocol of sending messages but requires both phone's messaging apps to support it.
Hmmm, they still don't send with it off. Wonder what the prob. is? It is a lot better than my stock texting app, anything with a matching feature set minus the RCS. Even though I have it off, it still seem to try to send to chat. My LG texting app sends pics fine. GM doesn't say sending by sms.mms when it does it also.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
LG V35 ThinQ Smartphone, GSM Unlocked Red Pocket (AT&T MVNO) & yes they send fine on the stock texting app. I like the feature of GM, my stock app is a lot worse.

Soldato
OP
LG V35 ThinQ Smartphone, GSM Unlocked Red Pocket (AT&T MVNO) & yes they send fine on the stock texting app. I like the features of GM, my stock app is a lot worse. I Force stopped, cleared cache, deleted data, uninstalled & reinstalled, didn't fix it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Could try the solution in the last comment here: https://support.google.com/messages/thread/112827948/mms-not-working-on-messages-app?hl=en

Edit: The issue seems resolved, here's what I did.
Uninstalled all updates to the messaging app
Cleared all data from the Play Store and Play Services apps
Updated messaging app
Everything seems to be working ok now.

Did see AT&T pop up a couple of times so maybe some weird compatibility issue with their network.

Another thing to try, if you're connected to WiFi, turn that off and see if the photo sends then when forced over mobile.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If ot was my APN, the other texting app. would do it. It seems like it still tries to send it as RTS, even with it off & I checked fallback to SMS/MMS when I have it on. Texts with out out attachments go through, so that is just more confusing. Found something more confusing, might be signal. Says to have at least 2 bars. I say confusing cuase my stock app sent the mms fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Could try the solution in the last comment here: https://support.google.com/messages/thread/112827948/mms-not-working-on-messages-app?hl=en

Did see AT&T pop up a couple of times so maybe some weird compatibility issue with their network.

Another thing to try, if you're connected to WiFi, turn that off and see if the photo sends then when forced over mobile.
My stock app sends MMS fine, so it is a setting or something with GM. Ok how do I delete data on Google Play with out disabling it? I just got Textr, that is better then having to go back to my stock app. It sounds good.

Last edited:
Soldato
My stock app sends MMS fine, so it is a setting or something with GM.
Honestly I'm not sure what else could be causing it to not send. The only alternative I can think of is turn back chat features on, and make sure the other person is also using Google Messages with chat features, as RCS usually runs on the Jibe network instead of your mobile network, and the photo will be sent via that instead of MMS.

Soldato
OP
Honestly I'm not sure what else could be causing it to not send. The only alternative I can think of is turn back chat features on, and make sure the other person is also using Google Messages with chat features, as RCS usually runs on the Jibe network instead of your mobile network, and the photo will be sent via that instead of MMS.
It is a pain (I did what it said in the last thread on the link too), I just downloaded Textra. Sounds like it has nice featurea, I linked vid. in my post above. I liked GM, but Textra seens fine, I even tried resending in SMS/MMS no good. Well Textra fails to sebd MMS too, I am back to my stock app. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom