Google Pay now accepts Barclays debit cards!!

Soldato
Wow what made Barclays suddenly change their mind? I remember years ago they felt it wasn't secure enough hence why they went with their own app, but I found it was more cumbersome to use.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Finally! The Barlcays app never held onto contactless mobile permissions long enough for me to ever use it without having to set it back up in the shop, infuriating. Now I can get supplies on my way home from a run on my breaks without worrying about taking my bank card too.

I've successfully added my card, now I need to test it.

Associate
Never actually used google wallet. I have no issue with Barclays app.

I've added my card, I'm going to try it, but my initial feeling is I've just needlessly added a few extra steps pay via contactless..

Is this something that's more useful if you have several cards, already use wallet for other stuff?

Never actually used google wallet. I have no issue with Barclays app.

I've added my card, I'm going to try it, but my initial feeling is I've just needlessly added a few extra steps pay via contactless..

Is this something that's more useful if you have several cards, already use wallet for other stuff?

How has it added a few extra steps to pay via contactless?, the barclays App was a right pain in the bum, if you turned your phone off you had to reload the app to run in the background again, many times I couldn't pay because the app had updated and it had to be setup as the primary contactless payment method, that was a right pain if your in a queue, also now that Barclays is compatible with Google Pay it makes compatible with smart watches that use Google Pay.

Last edited:
Associate
With the Barclays app all you have to do is unlock your phone, with wallet it appears (i haven't tried it yet) you have to select the card in the app.

I check the Barclays app daily, so I guess I don't really view the reloading thing as much of an inconvenience.

Associate
I set it up last night but thought I was late to the party. Did it only go live yesterday then ?
Edit * Sorry Tuesday

Last edited:
With the Barclays app all you have to do is unlock your phone, with wallet it appears (i haven't tried it yet) you have to select the card in the app.

I check the Barclays app daily, so I guess I don't really view the reloading thing as much of an inconvenience.
No, you have a default card selected and that's it, just unlock your phone and pay, obviously if you want to use a different card you'll have to swipe across to select it but that's an extra feature that you couldbt do with the Barclays app, you was stuck with one card.

Soldato
As above, I found Google Wallet to be much faster, just unlock and tap. No need to be in the app or anything. I haven't used the Barclays app's contactless for a few years but I remember every now and then it'll ask for your Barclays app PIN which was one reason why I stopped using it, an absolute pain when I was using it on the London underground especially during rush hour.

Last edited:
Associate
No, you have a default card selected and that's it, just unlock your phone and pay, obviously if you want to use a different card you'll have to swipe across to select it but that's an extra feature that you couldbt do with the Barclays app, you was stuck with one card.
Cheers, if you hadn't told me that it would have likely taken me ages to realise.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Finally!!!

Although I've been using my Barclays debit card via Samsung Pay+ for ages and all's been well :p

Plus you earn cashback through Curve Cash so there is that too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure but I've been spamming their Twitter for years so I hope I've contributed in some tiny way!
Me too, also on Linkedin i did something about 4 months ago that got some attention

So glad i wasnt the only person with these ridiculous update, restart issues etc. Such a buggy piece.

4 years ago it was great, NFC mobile ahead of its times, but things have moved on...they didnt

No notification of this change though. I only found out when i phoned to moan about android contactless mobile for the X time.

Back
Top Bottom