Google Photos

Soldato
I'm thinking of switching my S7 Edge for a Google Pixel 2 XL. However, I have a bit of a conundrum.

My wife and I both use Amazon Cloud Drive Photos, with the apps on our phones, to upload photos. If I switch to a Pixel 2, I'll get free Google Photos I think, but she won't. Or can she upload from her phone (S7 Edge) to "my" Google Photos account too? She may get a new phone in a few months - how would it work if she also got a Pixel?

Soldato
For the Pixel 2, the unlimited original photo backing up is only up to late 2020. After that like other Android phones the pictures will be downsized.

You could install Prime Photos from the Play store if you want to keep using that? There's not really any seemless way to sync photos between two Google accounts. You could dump all the photos into an album and then share that to each other.

Could also install Google photos right now and see how you feel about it.

Soldato
OP
Yeah... I have about 60GB of photos on my S7 just now (SD card), which would obviously fill the Pixel 2 unless I used google photos (clean up) or deleted them and continued using Amazon Cloud Photos. Guess I need to decide if I want to continue with Amazon (which has worked fine but cost is going up to £80 a year even with Amazon Prime sub).

Associate
TLDR: If a pic is larger than 16 MP it will be resized to 16 MP. Most camera phones don't take shots that big...

From: https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6220791?hl=en-GB

High quality
  • Unlimited free storage.
  • Photos are compressed to save space. If a photo is larger than 16 MP, it will be resized to 16 MP.
  • You can print good quality 16 MP photos in sizes up to 24 inches x 16 inches.
  • Videos higher than 1080p will be resized to high-definition 1080p. A video with 1080p or less will look close to the original.
Original quality
  • Limited free storage that uses storage in your Google Account. Check your storage here. If you go over this limit, learn how to buy storage.
  • All photos and videos are stored in the same resolution that you took them.
  • Recommended for photos that have more than 16 MP and videos with more than 1080p.
  • Recommended for printing large banners
Free unlimited storage for Pixel and Pixel 2 users
  • If you have a Pixel, you get unlimited free storage at Original quality for photos and videos uploaded from your phone. You won't be able to use High quality.
  • If you have the Pixel 2, you get free unlimited Original-quality storage for photos and videos uploaded from Pixel before 16 Jan 2021. After that, new photos will be uploaded at High quality for free. If you upload new photos at Original quality, it will count against your storage. Photos uploaded before 16 Jan 2021 will remain free at Original quality.

Back
Top Bottom