Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

Soldato
Our DPD driver basically took a photo of the wrong road and said 'attempted delivery' - not even the same road name, their sole job is to deliver parcels to an address, it's not even a difficult address to find! Now it's jumping through hoops to try and speak to them!

Very interested to hear from people who stumped for the straight pixel 8 their impressions, very tempted to jump on one of these to replace my Pixel 5 (still love the 5 but my son really needs an upgrade)
straight pixel 8?

do you mean non-pro version? If so that's what i have, and coming from a pixel 5 bought at launch.

i didn't realise how very similiar they are in size, which is very nice.

got to say that camera bump really needs improving. a bump is ok, but it's about twice as thick as acceptable. they could do with making it slightly thinner, and the phone slightly fatter to match better.

Soldato
Awwww rubbish.

Just got mine and realised it's only dual sim with an esim so it can't take my cheapo sim plus my work sim.

I can't move my work sim onto an esim so I'll need to find an alternative to Smarty.

Associate
I've just finished setting mine up. I decided to do it from scratch and clear the unused stuff rather than automatically move everything. As others have suggested the phone is now running cooler than sitting setup. It gets better signal than my Poco f3 which is great.

Associate
straight pixel 8?

do you mean non-pro version? If so that's what i have, and coming from a pixel 5 bought at launch.

got to say that camera bump really needs improving. a bump is ok, but it's about twice as thick as acceptable. they could do with making it slightly thinner, and the phone slightly fatter to match better.
The camera strip does look huge compared to the 5, I had thought that. I generally put a case on my phones and was hoping it doesnt protrude further than the thickness of a case.

Soldato
I've just finished setting mine up. I decided to do it from scratch and clear the unused stuff rather than automatically move everything. As others have suggested the phone is now running cooler than sitting setup. It gets better signal than my Poco f3 which is great.
Running cooler due to a fresh setup or what do you mean?

Soldato
Gone from P6 to P8 and I'm very pleased they've gone for the smaller form factor.
The Pixel 5 was exactly the right size for my preference, and the 8 is much more in that ballpark than the 6.

Associate

Interesting, that's on the same network? The F3 has a Snapdragon 870

Associate
straight pixel 8?

Can you give us some side by side pics, if you have a third phone or camera?

Also, how slippery is the 8 with its glossy glass back?

Thanks

Associate
Running cooler due to a fresh setup or what do you mean?
I thought the phone was running hot during setup and that it was a sign of Google not solving the heat issues from the 7 Pro. It turns out that it was only hot during the first start and setup phase and it runs normal temps in day to day use.

Interesting, that's on the same network? The F3 has a Snapdragon 870
It's the same network. I took my 3 sim out of the F3 put it in the 8 Pro. I have a hunch that it's more to do with antenna design than chipset. The meter bar looked like it had the same signal but mobile internet was working in parts of the house where it wasn't before and things were loading faster too.

Last edited:
Also, how slippery is the 8 with its glossy glass back?

extrmely. if i hold the p8 in my right hand, and p5 in my left, the p8 slips with a shockingly little incline. approx 30 degree incline, compared the p5 which is about 80 degree

Can you give us some side by side pics, if you have a third phone or camera?

happy to when my partner gets home (will use her p6), though seeing how many p5 owners have purchased the p8, i may be beaten to it.

Back
Top Bottom