Google Wifi Mesh Networking

Associate
Hi All,

I just wanted to see if anyone here has experience with Google WiFi or other mesh networking.
I use Sky Q with Virgin's Super Hub 3. I know I can put the super hub into modem mode and then use the google WiFi hub as a router connecting it to 2 other hubs. The issue I have is that I am aware that Sky Q boxes for TV (Sky Q 2TB & Sky Mini) create their own mesh network and communicate together. Will this cause any problems with connecting or any interference issues?

Any help / advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Soldato
Looking at this setup to match it up with a Netgear DM200, looking at the BT Home Wifi and the Orbi too. On Vodafone broadband with their router at the mo.

Caporegime
BT Whole Home is Wi-Fi only, the others can all be routers as well if you pair them with a suitable modem. If that helps at all.

Soldato
The only issue I ever had with the Sky wifi on the Sqy Q boxes was it interfering with my Sonos. Once I disabled the wifi on the Sky Q boxes, it went away. Never had an issue with it interfering with my Google Wifi, although I no longer have Sky so they were only "together" for a couple of months.

Associate
Hi

I use BT whole home WiFi and I'm also on Vodafone 76mb fibre. I use the discs and it has greatly improved the coverage and strength of WiFi across my house compared to the supplied router WiFi which is pretty poor. On the whole I've been pleased with the discs and can comfortably stream 4k using them.

Soldato
Hi

I use BT whole home WiFi and I'm also on Vodafone 76mb fibre. I use the discs and it has greatly improved the coverage and strength of WiFi across my house compared to the supplied router WiFi which is pretty poor. On the whole I've been pleased with the discs and can comfortably stream 4k using them.

Ok good to know, thank you. Still setting them up and initial thoughts wasn't positive. Still testing further over the weekend. One better thing on the Vodafone router is that the guest wireless is separate, where as with the BT setup it's still on the same subnet.

Planning on upgrading my Vodafone connection this weekend.

Soldato
Can I ask, ca you set it so the BT Home Wifi actually replaces the built in wifi on any given modem/router?

I've been looking at getting a new router to replace my existing one because of some issues with the wifi (the rest of the features are spot on and the wired connection is rock solid) - but now I'm wondering whether I'd be better getting a wifi "add-on" rather than a whole new router?

Associate
@StevieP from the reviews I've read you turnoff the WiFi on your router, connect the first BT hub to the router via ethernet then proceed to set the additional hubs up. This then sets up a WiFi mesh network over the BT hubs.

Soldato
@StevieP from the reviews I've read you turnoff the WiFi on your router, connect the first BT hub to the router via ethernet then proceed to set the additional hubs up. This then sets up a WiFi mesh network over the BT hubs.

That is correct, turn other wireless off etc. I'm still mulling returning it for a Google WiFi or Orbi setup.

Soldato
Is the connection one "big network" with these or do you get some lag when transitioning between areas?

I presume one plugs directly into the router and then you can put others anywhere and it automatically determines the best configuration?

Is there any benefit to plugging one of the other units in to a homeplug? I've got a 3 storey house with the top room PC being fed through powerline adapters - would the "mesh" connection be better using that as the connection point rather than WiFi from the router unit?

Soldato
That is correct, turn other wireless off etc. I'm still mulling returning it for a Google WiFi or Orbi setup.

The app for Google WiFi is excellent, so if you want easy control over giving priority access and restricting internet access to certain devices (even when out the house) then the Google WiFi kit is probably what you're after.

Soldato
The app for Google WiFi is excellent, so if you want easy control over giving priority access and restricting internet access to certain devices (even when out the house) then the Google WiFi kit is probably what you're after.

Ordered Vodafone BB upgrade this weekend, so will see what the BT system provides tomorrow night. Currently I have BT Home Wifi with 3 Discs and a Vodafone router.

Back
Top Bottom