Got a Mac Pro!

Associate
Standard config at the moment, looking to upgrade the RAM at some point when prices are a bit better.
Bought a macbook when they first came out and have hardly put it down since, so decided I really wanted a desktop to go with it.
My god am I glad I went with it! I know the price is a little high, but so worth it! This thing flies! Getting a handbrake h.264 encode going on at over 180fps at the moment.

Unfortunately had to stick XP on it for the missus (Still taking a while to convert), but hoping to remove that once I prove to her that office on the Mac works fine!

So, general point of the post...to anyone who is having a hard time deciding if they want one....just do it!!!

(P.S...I do kind of hate the fact I've become a Mac fanboi, but it is just impossible not too!)

Soldato
Excellent news matey, enjoy!

I have an iMac, and just love it to bits - but I must say owning a Mac Pro would be awesome (my new fab. word).

Mainly for the use of handbrake such as yourself!

Enjoy + I want pics.

Associate
OP
Might sort some pics when I have the setup a little more tidy... Currently cable central! I have got to say I envy the tidy setups seen in the hardware pics thread! I'm just far too messy for that!
I don't know what is holding handbrake back yet either, activity monitor shows I still have some serious grunt left over from the processor, so possibly there is another bottleneck to look at, but 30 odd minutes for a 2 pass h.264 encoding is not too bad in my books!

Soldato
Might sort some pics when I have the setup a little more tidy... Currently cable central! I have got to say I envy the tidy setups seen in the hardware pics thread! I'm just far too messy for that!
I don't know what is holding handbrake back yet either, activity monitor shows I still have some serious grunt left over from the processor, so possibly there is another bottleneck to look at, but 30 odd minutes for a 2 pass h.264 encoding is not too bad in my books!

Bottleneck? Bejesus! I only get 30fps and takes me about 1hr30mins!

Associate
OP
Why does the missis need XP? Mine loves using OS X on our MacBook. Much more than she does Windows...

Scared of new things I guess! She isn't a major computer fan anyway, so likes to stick with what she knows. I figure that not being a massive computer fan, Macs should be the obvious choice, so much more intuitive.

As for the bottleneck thing, I only see it as a bottle neck because I am not 100% on all 8 cores!

Soldato
Im waiting for my Macpro :(

Ive been re-organising my desk today in readiness but I spoke to Apple of Saturday morning and was told it would be 10-14 days. :( Gives me time to get another 24¨ Dell ordered I suppose.

My order is for the standard spec machine but with the 8800gt gfx card, and due to saving £400 using HE discount i suppose im happy to wait.

Soldato
Custom setup, or standard?
I was too impatient for delivery, had to drive in to Kingston today and get it!

Its standard but i selected AirPort Extreme Card (Wi-Fi) [+ £30.00] in the spec . It added like 4 days on top :(

I seriously regret adding it now. I could have just bought it seperately right?

Associate
OP
WOW. First day of actually using this beast for work and it rocks! Had LOADS of videos encoding in the background (actually...that wasn't work, but never mind), remote desktop to work, a parallels machine open, loads of other apps and the thing didn't even break sweat. Using it with spaces is pretty cool too, still haven't upgraded on the macbook so hadn't tried that yet.

On a different note, does anyone know if these things will take any old DVD writers? Got a few spare knocking about and figured I could add it in just for the hell of it?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Im waiting for my Macpro :(

Ive been re-organising my desk today in readiness but I spoke to Apple of Saturday morning and was told it would be 10-14 days. :( Gives me time to get another 24¨ Dell ordered I suppose.

My order is for the standard spec machine but with the 8800gt gfx card, and due to saving £400 using HE discount i suppose im happy to wait.

Is that legit discount or blagged? :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

It's all good :D

I'd hate to be caught out trying to blag something like that..

Back
Top Bottom