Govee (or similar) responsive backlights as a replacement for ambilight?

Soldato
OP
ever since I seen the lite announced I wanted to try it seems like its in the middle compared to the big gap from the t1 and t2 (if i got the models right) how is the colour accuracy for you ive noticed some say its good and some not and people often mod the ir camera thing.

It's working fine for me, I have seen the odd reports that screen types can have an effect but fortunately that's not been a problem with my U6.

The colours by default were a little iffy, but the Govee calibration videos linked above really helped and it's pretty damn close now.

I can't see anything ever beating ambilight tbh, but it's close enough that I'm more than happy with it. If you're on the fence you could always order from Amazon and just return it if you don't get on with it?

Associate
It's working fine for me, I have seen the odd reports that screen types can have an effect but fortunately that's not been a problem with my U6.

The colours by default were a little iffy, but the Govee calibration videos linked above really helped and it's pretty damn close now.

I can't see anything ever beating ambilight tbh, but it's close enough that I'm more than happy with it. If you're on the fence you could always order from Amazon and just return it if you don't get on with it?
ill be picking one up for sure, my tvs backlight has been dying the past couple of months getting a new tv this weekend or early next week. will be adding one of these to the setup.

Soldato
Got mine set up. Its wall mounted and its not the type of mount you can pull out and get behind so put the tv on its old stand. Top Gun was on at the time, the yee ha Jesters dead bit followed by buzzing the tower and it was working really well. Finished with the set up and got the TV back on the wall and went through the calibration with the app but feel its made it worse! Doing the set up on the app I couldnt really see the edges of the TV where the sticky pads were so just had to best guess it, even going fullscreen on the app didnt help much. Its very biased on the green and more so on the red. Decided to use light sabre fight to test it. Green is heavy on the left and it doesn't seem to picking much up on the right. Pic is a screenshot of a video so quality is poor. Bit more messing about needed. What do people think is the best material to test run it with?

Soldato
OP
Got mine set up. Its wall mounted and its not the type of mount you can pull out and get behind so put the tv on its old stand. Top Gun was on at the time, the yee ha Jesters dead bit followed by buzzing the tower and it was working really well. Finished with the set up and got the TV back on the wall and went through the calibration with the app but feel its made it worse! Doing the set up on the app I couldnt really see the edges of the TV where the sticky pads were so just had to best guess it, even going fullscreen on the app didnt help much. Its very biased on the green and more so on the red. Decided to use light sabre fight to test it. Green is heavy on the left and it doesn't seem to picking much up on the right. Pic is a screenshot of a video so quality is poor. Bit more messing about needed. What do people think is the best material to test run it with?

There's some links to the Govee "calibration" videos earlier in the thread that really helped for me.

Using the information gained from them I used some of the Philips Ambilight youtube videos to colour match/track which got me as close as damnit.

There's actually a black bar setting in the APP that might help in some cases too, I've found it a little hit and miss. On my end there was a heavy red bias that needed to be toned down, it is a bit of a faff in all honesty and it took me a good 3-5 calibration attempts to nail things. The cam view when looking at the red lights via the calibration video is a bit of a PITA, I actually found it easier to only use the bottom and mid point sticky blocks as you can see the screen just fine on the upper with the Govee (red point section) video.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's some links to the Govee "calibration" videos earlier in the thread that really helped for me.

Using the information gained from them I used some of the Philips Ambilight youtube videos to colour match/track which got me as close as damnit.

There's actually a black bar setting in the APP that might help in some cases too, I've found it a little hit and miss. On my end there was a heavy red bias that needed to be toned down, it is a bit of a faff in all honesty and it took me a good 3-5 calibration attempts to nail things. The cam view when looking at the red lights via the calibration video is a bit of a PITA, I actually found it easier to only use the bottom and mid point sticky blocks as you can see the screen just fine on the upper with the Govee (red point section) video.
Cheers. I think it may have been too dark when I did the initial calibration and also did it with the TV off, maybe be better if its emitting some light. WFH today so may give it a another go this afternoon.

Soldato
OP
Cheers. I think it may have been too dark when I did the initial calibration and also did it with the TV off, maybe be better if its emitting some light. WFH today so may give it a another go this afternoon.

It is a fiddle but if you follow the videos/guidelines you'll get there.

Absolutely worth it in the end imo.

Back
Top Bottom