Government citizen surveilance program

Permabanned
Why is everyone making such a big fuss over this? At the end of the day, it is there to protect us, right?

How is that bad? We are being cared and looked after... Just like KGB and Stazi did.

Latest news is that UK for first time officially admitted having ability to access UK citizen data without warrant.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gchq...ts-with-foreign-intelligence-agencies-2014-10

How is this even news? Who cares?

Just follow the laws and everything will be fine, nothing good comes out of breaking laws... Like Rosa Parks, US independence war etc....

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sensing some sarcasm :D.

I don't agree with it personally. No I don't have anything to hide but it creeps me out that someone else could see how long I spend on ocuk :(.

Associate
I'm sensing some sarcasm :D.

I don't agree with it personally. No I don't have anything to hide but it creeps me out that someone else could see how long I spend on ocuk :(.

well.. its not just the net. Its your:

email,
video chats,
photos,
texts,
phone calls,
GPS,
the Kevin bacon algorithm (making you a target by massive association)
there are windows backdoors to your local disc too for your 'offline' files.

Aaaand if you read the leaks its potentially your webcam control, microphone on your smart phone/watch/smart tv (cough sorry smart human tracking devices)

for the extreme cases of what’s being going on there is the suspicion that the random number generator on the Intel CPU for encryption in itself is borked to allow for reverse decryption hence a Linux kernal patch to use a software algorithm instead.

Basically its anything and everything and its warrant-less and this can apply to companies too.

ohh and your medical records too but don’t worry that was just sold to a US company for big data unless you opted out at your GP before the end of September this year ? .. you did do that right, it could sort of effect your children’s ability to get life / health insurance.

none of that would matter if it was targeted smartly and warranted, but its just what you would call a 'Drag Net' from what I read on the guardian at the time of the recent leaks.

Its almost like V for Vendetta now , Sit back and enjoy the ride down :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Meh everything that's sensative is encrypted and I'm not sure I believe the windows back door bit someone would have found it by now.

my doctors surgery opted everyone out. They got in some **** for it but the gp was a bit paranoid.

I hadn't heard about the Intel random number generator however if you use a software one it shouldn't matter surely? Besides I would have thought a standard cpu to be incapable of producing a truly random number.

Last edited:
Associate
ohh and your medical records too but don’t worry that was just sold to a US company for big data unless you opted out at your GP before the end of September this year ? .. you did do that right, it could sort of effect your children’s ability to get life / health insurance.

Can you officially source your September deadline thing?

Caporegime
Honestly couldn't care less. Nothing to hide.

Proactive is better than reactive.

but you do have stuff to hide.

well your a man so slightly less but intelligence staff have been found using this stuff to track ex girlfriends etc share indecent photographs of people etc.

Soldato
I hate people with the I have nothing to hide argument. What if there was a radical change in government or government policy and something that was the 'norm' became banned, they already have all that information to now do what they want to you.

Just look at what Russia is doing to the gays for example.

Man of Honour
well.. its not just the net. Its your:

email,
video chats,
photos,
texts,
phone calls,
GPS,
the Kevin bacon algorithm (making you a target by massive association)
there are windows backdoors to your local disc too for your 'offline' files.

Aaaand if you read the leaks its potentially your webcam control, microphone on your smart phone/watch/smart tv (cough sorry smart human tracking devices)

for the extreme cases of what’s being going on there is the suspicion that the random number generator on the Intel CPU for encryption in itself is borked to allow for reverse decryption hence a Linux kernal patch to use a software algorithm instead.

Basically its anything and everything and its warrant-less and this can apply to companies too.

none of that would matter if it was targeted smartly and warranted, but its just what you would call a 'Drag Net' from what I read on the guardian at the time of the recent leaks.

Its almost like V for Vendetta now , Sit back and enjoy the ride down :D

I've pretty much always assumed anything I send over the internet email, image, search, etc. will/can be seen by someone somewhere and anyone would be wise to assume the same.

Windows "backdoors" in the past was a load of rubbish but I'm a bit more wary of 8 onwards.

It would be naive (especially with the recent leaks) to assume that there isn't the capabilities for massive covert surveillance.

The days we really start having to worry IMO is the days when programs have to be "signed" by a regulatory body before they have access to send data over the internet - if that ever happens we pretty much sleepwalk into enslavement (unfortunately most people lacking knowledge of the technical implications won't see it coming until its too late - if it ever happens).

Soldato
but you do have stuff to hide.

well your a man so slightly less but intelligence staff have been found using this stuff to track ex girlfriends etc share indecent photographs of people etc.

That's an abuse of power which will always exist regardless of the extent of the intel gathered.

I hate people with the I have nothing to hide argument. What if there was a radical change in government or government policy and something that was the 'norm' became banned, they already have all that information to now do what they want to you.

Just look at what Russia is doing to the gays for example.

Unlikely and you can't use Russia's policies as an example for anything sensible.

Caporegime
That's an abuse of power which will always exist regardless of the extent of the intel gathered.

cant really happen if we don't monitor everyone's texts and emails though can it?

that kind of abuse only happens because the dragnet becomes so vast that no one notices the extra few names on a list.

Caporegime
Unlikely and you can't use Russia's policies as an example for anything sensible.

why not the press and many people are very happy to denounce ukip as massive evil racists but they're polling now as the 3rd most popular party in the country.

if the media is true then change gay for black or Asian and you have the same problem....

Caporegime
There was an article in The Times last weekend about Police in the UK being able to access British citizens emails without a warrant which may even worse than this TBH... Unfortunately I don't have a times online subscription so haven't been able to read the entire article. If it is as it says then that's a nasty indictment of the "legal" system... Anyone got access to the article?

Caporegime
There was an article in The Times last weekend about Police in the UK being able to access British citizens emails without a warrant which may even worse than this TBH... Unfortunately I don't have a times online subscription so haven't been able to read the entire article. If it is as it says then that's a nasty indictment of the "legal" system... Anyone got access to the article?

the seizure of all mobile phones in any RTC incident so they can be "checked" to prove if someone using the phone is resulting in lots and lots of peoples private photos filtering out too.

Soldato
The positoves of mass surveillance far outweigh the negatives. I'd rather a criminal or terrorist attack was stopped because GCHQ picked up on it rather than it happen.

If, like you say, intelligence staff have been found to misuse the tools available to them then I'm sure they'd have been dealt with appropriately.

You should be more concerned about the information you provide already and the data stored by companies rather than fight the authoritative power.

PSN, Adobe, iCloud, Snapchat, Dropbox, Facebook
Need I go on?

The issue is misuse not the product.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is the type of attitude that guarantees the results they want

Quite :(. I mean what choice do we have?

The vast majority of us wouldn't be able to tell if a program has a backddoor and it's anyone's guess if the companies denying they give free reign to the intelligence services are telling the truth. There's no way for us to verify their back ends.

With encryption we don't know what they can and cannot crack. It's all well and good choosing a complicated password that should take decades to crack but if they have the key to the door its sod all use what you choose :(.

We rely on corporations to ferry our data across the web we have no way of knowing which to trust (if any) or that their service isn't comprimised.

On that basis there's "sod all we can do about it". Not through lack of willingness just lack of choices :(.

Back
Top Bottom