GP unable to retrieve medical details from hospital due to data protection?

Soldato
This is not a thread requesting medical advice but a thread requesting opinions with regard to practices being adopted by the local hospital to make things difficult.

GP sent me for an ENT consultation and a MRI and a follow up consultation to the GP was made to go over the results. Problem is no results were sent back to the GP who referred me and four months later it transpires the hospital are unwilling to discuss and send my files over to the General Practitioner without receiving direct permission from myself? It's worth mentioning the hospital have failed to contact me directly to discuss any problems . Furthermore, what data protection issues can there be when the GP is a party to the enquiry and presumably waiting on the results to commence treatment?

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds very wrong. I have been referred to Hospital by my GP and the results are automatically sent back to the GP. If there really is a need for your permission surely they just ask you to grant that when signing in at reception to accept the treatment at the Hospital. Keeping your GP out of the loop just costs the NHS more as everything ends up being handled by the Hospital. Bonkers !

Soldato
i'm sure last time i was in for a procedure (few months before christmas) i had to sign a form of sort sort giving my permission that the hospital could 'share' the results with my GP.....thought it daft at the time but figured it was due to data protection.

Caporegime
That does sound odd - I've usually had a letter sent to my GP and a copy sent to me after a referral.

Is the hospital in a different NHS trust? I remember going to see my GP about some results, they hadn't received the letter or the receptionists/secretaries hadn't scanned it in and added it to my records but she showed me that she could log into the local hospital's system and look up the results report herself.

Soldato
OP
Have you tried calling the hospital?
I've only just received the information from the surgery but will attempt to do this shortly exclaiming they had better send the relevant details to the GP otherwise it will be reported to the CQC.
It's been a fiasco from the start with the hospital sending out appointments to the wrong address despite me physically standing there in person getting them to update my details (on the day of the MRI) It appears they use three separate systems when handling information and don't communicate.

Back
Top Bottom