• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU Advice - Green or Red

Associate
Hey guys.

I'm doing a new system build and have everything apart from the GPU, and it's a tough decision to make so any advice is appreciated.

Do I go with an AMD 6000 card or an Nvidia 3000 card?

I have recently bought a 75" 4K QLED tv with HDMI 2.1 - so 4K 120Hz and VRR fully supported. This is my main display and will be hooked up to the PC for movies and tv shows and gaming, so I need an HDMI 2.1 graphics card.

I've been following the new GPU launches and trying to digest the large amounts of info from reviews and benchmark tests, and I'm looking for a little advice on what card to go for - note that I'm in no hurry and perfectly happy to hold off til next year to make a purchase once stock levels settle.

From what I've seen of the new GPU reviews, it seems that the 6000 series cards match or out-perform the Nvidia cards with 1080p, but under-perform somewhat when it comes to 4K and Ray Tracing. This swings me immediately towards the Nvidia GPU's, but then I also hear that AMD will release drivers to improve this performance and close the gap. Can anyone clarify if the 6000 series are lacking slightly in 4K gaming performance and if driver updates are expected to actually improve 4K and RT enough to match the Nvidia GPU's?

I also saw somewhere that the 6000 series handles video encoding/decoding better than the Nvidia GPU's. Is this the case, and if so is there really much of a difference or is it even noticeable apart from benchmarking?

The 6900 XT is just around the corner now too, are the reviews and tests of the 6800 XT indicative of what we can expect from the 6900 XT? Specifically should we expect any improvement in 4K or RT performance compared to the 6800 XT?

For my use case, would I be right in thinking that an Nvidia 3080 card is more suitable for me based on my needs? Or is there something I haven't considered?

Oh I forgot to mention I have a 5950x and an X570 motherboard so would benefit from SAM if I got a 6000 series GPU, but Nvidia also have their version of resizable BAR in the works too so I suppose that's kind of a moot point.

Gux

Gux

Associate
Pointless even thinking about getting the 6000 or 3000 series. There are no cards being manufactured & no stock until Q3 of 2021 most likely. Might as well save up for the 7000 & 4000 series.

Associate
OP
Pointless even thinking about getting the 6000 or 3000 series. There are no cards being manufactured & no stock until Q3 of 2021 most likely. Might as well save up for the 7000 & 4000 series.

LOL I hear ya mate! Seems pointless thinking about it right now, but like I said I'm happy to wait til next year to purchase.

Actually thinking of just grabbing an Radeon RX 570 just to tide me over with watching 4K videos for the moment til stock levels settle (currently rocking an ancient GeForce GTX 560). Got myself a PS5 to keep me busy gaming til then, so happy enough to hold off.

Pet Northerner
Don
if you can get one to use *right now* caring about 4k and RT then the 3080 is your best bet.

If you can't and need to wait a few months then I'd remain agnostic until the time comes when you can get both. Then ask the question again - if AMD haven't caught the gap then the choice will still be nvidia

Associate

The 7000 and 4000 will be just the same, mark my words; artificial shortages to drive up prices. It's been this way for a good five years, with one excuse after another.

Gux

Gux

Associate
The 7000 and 4000 will be just the same, mark my words; artificial shortages to drive up prices. It's been this way for a good five years, with one excuse after another.

It's just incompetence. Nvidia & AMD have always been amateur companies (in my opinion). It's simply down to bad planning & bad management & nothing else. You're right it will likely happen with the next big launch as well.

It is funny seeing people falling for the COVID excuse, while at the same time ignoring companies like Apple, shipping four new iPhones & replacing their whole entry level Macs during the pandemic & shipping 10s of millions of units with almost no delay. At the same time Nvidia & AMD can only seem to ship a couple of thousands of units & have 6 months of backlog.... But that's the difference between a professional company & amateurs like Nvidia & AMD.

Hopefully they will manage to get some stock before Q3 2021

Associate
It's just incompetence. Nvidia & AMD have always been amateur companies (in my opinion). It's simply down to bad planning & bad management & nothing else. You're right it will likely happen with the next big launch as well.

It is funny seeing people falling for the COVID excuse, while at the same time ignoring companies like Apple, shipping four new iPhones & replacing their whole entry level Macs during the pandemic with almost no shortages anywhere. But that's the difference between a professional company & amateurs like Nvidia & AMD.

Hopefully they will manage to get some stock before Q3 2021

Well said!

Associate
OP
if you can get one to use *right now* caring about 4k and RT then the 3080 is your best bet.

If you can't and need to wait a few months then I'd remain agnostic until the time comes when you can get both. Then ask the question again - if AMD haven't caught the gap then the choice will still be nvidia

4K, RT = 3080
1440, 1080p, longevity = 6800XT

Solid advice, thanks lads!

Back
Top Bottom