GPU & CPU Installation Advice - Must Dos/Donts

Associate
Tomorrow I am replacing my current 1060 GPU with a brand new RTX 3070ti and replacing my Razen 5 2600 with a 5600.

I have little experience when it comes to builds and upgrades so would appreciate any pointers/steps on replacing a GPU and CPU.

Anything around must dos or donts? Anything around thermal paste for the CPU or upgrading/setting up the BIOS after the installs? Static wristband a must? Uninstalling the old drivers and installing the new?

I’m a little bit worried about messing it up especially with the money I’ve spent so any advice is appreciated!

Associate
Each individual step is not too hard so just do it 1 step at a time.

Step 1 - Check bios version. CPUZ when downloaded and installed is easy way to check this. If you are not on BIOS F62 then update to this version. That bios may not be compatable with the 2600 so do not panic if the pc does not boot once bios is updated. Will be instructions on the Gigabyte website , and in your mobo manual , on how to update your bios.

Step 2 - Turn power off at psu unit and then hold down power button for 30 secs. All LED lights should go off on mobo. Touch a radiator if you are paranoid about static.

Step 3 - Remove gpu. Unscrew , unclip , remove pcie power cables and then remove from case. I would not put the new gpu back in just yet.

Step 4 - Remove cpu cooler. Depends on what one you have. The stock ryzen cooler just unclips iirc so should be easy. If the cooler seems to be stuck then wriggle a bit but do not try to pull it out or you can rip the cpu out of the socket and something may get damaged. If the PC still boots after the bios update then pull the fan header out and boot up the pc for 30secs or so, this will warm up the thermal interface material and make the heatsink easier to remove.

Step 5 - Clean old thermal gunk off then remove cpu from socket. Or remove from socket then clean , no real difference.

Step 6 - Instal new cpu. Make sure you align the triangle to correct corner and gently wriggle till it slips into position. Lots of vids on youtube showing this part so I suggest you look up some people building Ryzen systems so you can see it done.

Step 7 - I assume the new cooler with the new cpu will have thermal compound on it. If not then apply some to the cpu and attach the cooler. If you watched the videos from above step then you will have seen this done as well. Dont forget to plug in the fan into cpu header on mobo.

Step 8 - Put new gpu into slot ,push down till you feel the rention clip attach correctly then screw it in and attach pcie power cables.

Step 9 - Turn psu back on then hit power button and if everything is plugged in correctly your PC should boot. If it doesnt boot then do not panic there is most likely a cable loose.

Step 10 - Boot into BIOS and check memory is running at correct speeds and that everything is being detected correctly.

Step 11 - Boot into windows and enjoy.

Hope that helps. Hundreds of videos on youtube that show people with little experience building pcs so you can watch them and see what to do at each step. I am sure there are little things I missed but the key point is to stay calm and take your time.

Don
Almost everything has been covered so far with good advice, but I'd just like to add

Tomorrow I am replacing my current 1060 GPU with a brand new RTX 3070ti and replacing my Razen 5 2600 with a 5600.

If you are inexperienced - probably better to replace these items one at a time i.e. swap the CPU first, then boot up make sure it's all ok, then do the GPU afterwards.
(If you do both at the same time and something doesn't work, you won't know which caused the issue)

Uninstalling the old drivers and installing the new?
You shouldn't really ever need to uninstall old drivers, unless you are going from very old unsupported cards to very new. Both NVIDIA and AMDs GPU drivers cover a good few years worth of models, so the same driver you have installed for 1060 should just detect your 3070ti and work fine.

Associate
OP
Update*

So I’ve successfully installed the correct BIOS version (long winded but worth it, 4 > 5 > 6 > 7 > 30 > 40 > 50 > 62)

I’ve replaced the CPU, thermal paste and the GPU.

Minor issue upon first boot which seemed to be fixed by resetting my GPU.

First boot fine after a minute or so of it I think ‘rejigging’ itself back into action.

My only concern now is that I’m wondering if I’ve connected the GPU to the PSU in the correct manor. I used the cable that was already attached to my old GPU, which was only using one 6+2 pin but had a ‘spare’ 6+2 pin alongside it, equalling the two 8 pins that I needed for the cable that came with my RTX 3070ti (smaller 12 pin into the GPU with two 8 pin connections to the PSU)

Hopefully that’s everything correctly but I always doubt myself
Each individual step is not too hard so just do it 1 step at a time.

Step 1 - Check bios version. CPUZ when downloaded and installed is easy way to check this. If you are not on BIOS F62 then update to this version. That bios may not be compatable with the 2600 so do not panic if the pc does not boot once bios is updated. Will be instructions on the Gigabyte website , and in your mobo manual , on how to update your bios.

Step 2 - Turn power off at psu unit and then hold down power button for 30 secs. All LED lights should go off on mobo. Touch a radiator if you are paranoid about static.

Step 3 - Remove gpu. Unscrew , unclip , remove pcie power cables and then remove from case. I would not put the new gpu back in just yet.

Step 4 - Remove cpu cooler. Depends on what one you have. The stock ryzen cooler just unclips iirc so should be easy. If the cooler seems to be stuck then wriggle a bit but do not try to pull it out or you can rip the cpu out of the socket and something may get damaged. If the PC still boots after the bios update then pull the fan header out and boot up the pc for 30secs or so, this will warm up the thermal interface material and make the heatsink easier to remove.

Step 5 - Clean old thermal gunk off then remove cpu from socket. Or remove from socket then clean , no real difference.

Step 6 - Instal new cpu. Make sure you align the triangle to correct corner and gently wriggle till it slips into position. Lots of vids on youtube showing this part so I suggest you look up some people building Ryzen systems so you can see it done.

Step 7 - I assume the new cooler with the new cpu will have thermal compound on it. If not then apply some to the cpu and attach the cooler. If you watched the videos from above step then you will have seen this done as well. Dont forget to plug in the fan into cpu header on mobo.

Step 8 - Put new gpu into slot ,push down till you feel the rention clip attach correctly then screw it in and attach pcie power cables.

Step 9 - Turn psu back on then hit power button and if everything is plugged in correctly your PC should boot. If it doesnt boot then do not panic there is most likely a cable loose.

Step 10 - Boot into BIOS and check memory is running at correct speeds and that everything is being detected correctly.

Step 11 - Boot into windows and enjoy.

Hope that helps. Hundreds of videos on youtube that show people with little experience building pcs so you can watch them and see what to do at each step. I am sure there are little things I missed but the key point is to stay calm and take your tim

Associate
My only concern now is that I’m wondering if I’ve connected the GPU to the PSU in the correct manor. I used the cable that was already attached to my old GPU, which was only using one 6+2 pin but had a ‘spare’ 6+2 pin alongside it, equalling the two 8 pins that I needed for the cable that came with my RTX 3070ti (smaller 12 pin into the GPU with two 8 pin connections to the PSU)
You might get crashes under load with this setup, you should run a second pcie cable from your psu.

Associate

Is this similar to the cable you are using for the gpu ? If so it is not recommended and you ideally want 2 seperate cables going from the psu to the gpu

You do not mention what psu you have but you should have some spare cables you can plug into the psu and they then goto the gpu just like the one you are already using. Most psus have a good selection to use.

Associate
OP

Is this similar to the cable you are using for the gpu ? If so it is not recommended and you ideally want 2 seperate cables going from the psu to the gpu

You do not mention what psu you have but you should have some spare cables you can plug into the psu and they then goto the gpu just like the one you are already using. Most psus have a good selection to use.
Yes it is! Uh oh. I will dig out the box to the PSU as I’m 99% sure there are a load of cables in there and see what’s what.

I have a Super Flower Leadex II 1200W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply

I know I’m still in need of help, but I just want to thank you for all of your input so far - massive help!

Associate
Oh wow you will have all the cables you need and many many more. Look for 2 without the daisy chained 8 pin connector on it , you should have 2 or more of just the psu to 8 pin connector.

Man of Honour

Doesn't matter for the OP now anyhow, but I usually remove the power cable before I unscrew, just because the resistance helps instead of having a floppy graphics card :D

Associate
OP
I have successfully changed the cables as above. I think I am on the final stages now.

No issues or instability however I have noticed code 36 on my motherboard which looking at the manual, I believe to be to do with the 'CPU PEI initialization'. Lots of places online say that clearing the CMOS solves the problem. is this the case? Do I really need to worry if I see no current issues with performance or stability?

Will clearing the CMOS reset the BIOS version? Meaning I will have to update from F3 to F62 again? or does it just resset everything else? I have a button on the back of my motherboard that I can easily reset it with but I am relectant before knowing thats actually what is needed.

Futhormore - I actually have a Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 5 Wifi AMD X470 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard and not the 5 as I stated previously.

Appreciate the help as always!
Oh wow you will have all the cables you need and many many more. Look for 2 without the daisy chained 8 pin connector on it , you should have 2 or more of just the psu to 8 pin connector.

Man of Honour
Will clearing the CMOS reset the BIOS version? Meaning I will have to update from F3 to F62 again? or does it just resset everything else? I have a button on the back of my motherboard that I can easily reset it with but I am relectant before knowing thats actually what is needed.

It would only reset the settings, not change the bios version. If everything is running fine, I'd probably just leave it alone.

Back
Top Bottom