• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU Hot spot temps too high on 6800XT?

Associate
Ok, so I undervolted the GPP from 1150 to 1050 mV, which caused crashing when running Timespy and Timespy extreme. I raised this to 1080 which seems to be more stable.

Furmark seems to have the hotspot now hitting 105C but my last run at Timespy Extreme the hotspot in HW monitor peaked at 111C, so thats a 30C variance between hotspot and standard GPU Temp at 81C.

So im not sure where I am now....seems like i should contact Gigabyte to look at RMA
What case are you using, that card's rather warm. My 6800xt red dragon never hit 90c hotspot, but my case has good airflow and 2x120mm fans blowing cold air up to the card.

Associate
Good point is your case well ventilated. Ideally you need a fan in the roof at the back extracting hot air as well as top rear

Associate
OP
My case is a Phanteks P500A. Case airflow seems good. I have 3x 140mm front intake fans, 1 140mm rear exhaust, as well as a 140mm at bottom of the case blowing air into the GPU. Roof of the case has the fans and radiator of my CPU AIO set to exhaust.

Last edited:
Associate
My case is a Phanteks P500A. Case airflow seems good. I have 3x 140mm front intake fans, 1 140mm rear exhaust, as well as a 140mm at bottom of the case blowing air into the GPU. Roof of the case has the fans and radiator of my CPU AIO set to exhaust.
So your cards either got a very bad application of thermal paste or a terrible cooler. I would have sent it back for those temps.

Associate
could be worth trying to ever so slightly tighten the cooler screws, ive seen it before where the screws are not tight enough and the temps are elevated because of this. either that or your paste may need replacing, my mba 6800 hotspot maxes at around 80c as a reference

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I think I'm going to go down the warranty support route. I actually purchased the card from Overclockers, but as I'm just outside of the one year period, guess I will have to use the Gigabyte process, so hopefully they are not a pain to deal with

Soldato
I think I'm going to go down the warranty support route. I actually purchased the card from Overclockers, but as I'm just outside of the one year period, guess I will have to use the Gigabyte process, so hopefully they are not a pain to deal with
i'd contact ocuk in the first instance - they may be able to 'accelerate' the rma process.

Associate
Had this issue on my old reference 6950 XT… the replacement card had the same high hotspot temp issue as well, so I gave the re-paste method a try, it didn’t make much difference.

Then I tried the reducing the power limit method, this did help with the temps and fan speeds, for only a 3% drop in performance.

Also both cards had some coil whine.

In the end, I gave up on AMD, I got myself a 4070 Ti, it runs with less power, less fan speed and lower temps. I also hit the jackpot… hardly any coil whine noise.

Last edited:
Associate
109°c is very high and right on the edge of throttling. Could poor mounting pressure or paste as mentioned. At stock my Sapphire Nitro+ gets high (with a large delta of up to the mid 20's) but stays in the 90's.

I'd try an undervolt/reduced power limit to see if that lowers the temps and prevents crashing. If so it may be worth raising an RMA

Back
Top Bottom