GPU overclocking problem/help

Soldato
Hi there,

I have an on going problem that for the life of me I can figure out.

Untill 2 weeks ago I had no problems OC'ing my GPU now I can set the OC, Benchmark the hell out of it and its fine untill I play a game (MW2,DIRT3,BFBC2)

I am 100% sure it has enough Vcore as it was fine for months, I've upped it to 1.063 from 1.050 to be sure and the problem still exists.

When gaming after 20-40 minutes the screen will go black for 1-2 seconds GPU fans power down to silent for those 1-2 seconds then its fine strait back into game and GPU fans roar up again and I carry on playing but i've lost my OC in MSI Afterburner, Though my Fan profile is still intact.

195r1s.png

Thats what randomly happens during gaming, To regain my OC I have to close Afterburner and open it again.
I have no other GPU oc;ing software installed that could be interfering, Temps are staying ~78C when oc'd.

Any help really appreciated or a good alternative to MSI Afterburner if there is one. :confused:

Cheers

e2a: problem exists on all the drivers i've tried (the latest 4 from nvidia)

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like you are getting artefacts when gaming i.e. black screen.

MSI AfterBurner is the best GPU overclocking software that you can use.

If you are having problems, then it may be a problem with the card itself (as you have tried all the older and latest drivers) Also check your memory using MemTest, as memory sometimes as an effect on the way your GPU reacts. My old 8800GT used to mess around with my old DDR2 ram and would only work with one of them, even though I checked both sticks with MemTest individually and they came back with no errors.

Only other alternative is that the card has been pushed a bit too far!

You may also want to check your PSU! Make sure it is feeding that power hungry GTX580 all the juice is needs to run when overclocked!

Hope this helps!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply :), I gave memtest ago and all came back fine.
After a lot of playing around in MSI afterburner I have now realised it will do the same thing with just a 1mhz OC, Stock = 800mhz and its fine. If I oc at all even by 1mhz then the above happens pictured in Afterburner.

The cards showed no Artifacts that im aware of, When it dorps out for a second reverting back to stock clocks during gaming like in op post the screen just goes black for 2 seconds then all back to normal in game, Just minus the OC of course.

I have tried the spare 2 PCI-e connectors from my TX750 and its still the same, I think a branded 750w PSU is more than enough for a single gpu machine, Even if OC'd?

This is driving me bonkers, Especially now its doing it in BF3 BETA where I'd really appreciate the OC to stick..

Sorry to moan a lot :(

Soldato
Sounds like a software problem with MSI AfterBurner. Uninstall it, delete it from the registry using regedit in the start search bar, restart computer and download latest MSI software from their site, should sort it all out.

Soldato
OP
I gave it a go, uninstalled then removed all registry entrys related to msi afterburner, Rebooted and then reinstalled.
It was fine for about 10 mintues, Then black screen for 2 seconds and back to game but OC has been lost.

Is it worth reinstalling OS? :( I really thought msi afterburner would work ok considering its an msi gpu..

Is there any alternatives I can try to see if has similer problems?

Back
Top Bottom