• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices in the UK

Associate
Hi all,

I am very eager to upgrade to either a 6800 XT or 3080 for the release CP2077 (which is looking less likely by the day), but I'm quite frustrated with the prices being so much higher than the initially advertised MSRPs.

I understand how Nvidia draws people in with false promises and their MSRPs are essentially nonsense as they never planned on making many reference cards (as explained by MLID and Gamers Nexus), but I am disappointed with the prices I'm seeing for the 6800 XT reference card. I simply don't understand how $650 works out to be £680. I imagine there is an import tax I'm not accounting for but what I've worked out so far is this:

$650 dollars = £486, plus 20% VAT = £583. So where is the near £100 extra coming from? An EU tax?

If I understood this better I might feel more comfortable paying the extra than I hoped for, but if it doesn't add up and I know I'm just being ripped off I think I'll wait and tolerate an initial playthrough of CP at low FPS/settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Dale

Associate
I mean, you're looking at prices on a store with a track record of slapping an extra few quid on MSRP prices of all recent releases without hesitation. Was available for the UK MSRP of £629 elsewhere yesterday.

Associate
It was £680 here because OCUK marked it up.

Other PC / electronics retailers similar to OCUK were selling it for around the £600 mark.

If the price in the US is 649USD before sales tax (remember, sales tax in the US is low and varies by state), then 649USD at the current exchange rate on Google is 490GBP. Add on 20% VAT - 490GBP * 1.20 = 588GBP, so the 599GBP prices seen elsewhere is about "right".

Associate
I'm not sure why that's funny, I've heard it mentioned on various forums but I haven't seen a clear explanation. I've found this as an example:

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custo...s-online-coming-from-a-noneu-union-country_en

Edit - I appreciate this might be for us buying directly from a non-EU country, but if we're not doing this, would a UK retailer pick up this extra cost?

The applicable rates are all published on the gov.uk website, go have a look at the rates that apply to a GPU.

Associate
OP
It was £680 here because OCUK marked it up.

Other PC / electronics retailers similar to OCUK were selling it for around the £600 mark.

If the price in the US is 649USD before sales tax (remember, sales tax in the US is low and varies by state), then 649USD at the current exchange rate on Google is 490GBP. Add on 20% VAT - 490GBP * 1.20 = 588GBP, so the 599GBP prices seen elsewhere is about "right".

Thanks for the reply. £600 was about what I was hoping for. Could you advise where you have seen it at the lower prices? I know it'll be out of stock but it'll be great to know where I need to focus my attention.

Cheers

Soldato
For like the millionth time it's because US states charge sales tax at a local level, so you're basically looking at the equivalent of ex VAT prices for everything in the states.

The price goes up by a fair bit when you check out/go to the till etc.

Associate
OP
For like the millionth time it's because US states charge sales tax at a local level, so you're basically looking at the equivalent of ex VAT prices for everything in the states.

Yes I'm well aware of that, that's why I added VAT and it's still nowhere near.

Associate
To your own wallet be true. OverPricers are milking customers that have no self control/sense. Just about anywhere else is cheaper and provide proper stock info/updates like that store in Bolton where it’s on the front landing page, not hidden in the forum.

Best thing to do is vote with your wallet, shop around.

Associate

Oh give over, it's usually something trivial like 4-6%.

Associate
to be fair he has come out and said he wasn't happy with the margins on the ref cards in the other thread and that's why they've stuck more cash on.

Not really a very good answer though.

Literally every single other retailer could manage with those margins but not OCUK? Uh huh. They have captive market of idiots and they exploited it, plain as that. Look at the price of 5700XT's Vs every other retailer, if you need anymore proof lol.

Associate
I think it is also what people are willing to pay in each country - cdkeys is a classic example of this where prices are cheaper based on what the general populace is willing to pay.

See the calculation I posted above - Other retailers were selling 6800XT's for £599, which based on the US price of $649 is about where it should be for the UK market. £680 was taking the **** really.

Back
Top Bottom