Gpu temp gradually rising anyone experienced

Associate
Hi guys and girls, wondering if anyone has seen temps on there gpu rise drastically over the space of 3 months. I got plenty of rad space, cleaned rads internals, swapped spare pump over, reservoir, cpu block e.t.c all looked clean when doing. Temps since fitting about 3 months ago can go as high as 57 c now, higher than my r9 295x2 went. I've cooled quite a few cards in my time but never experienced this. Just taken block apart. Pretty sure I didn't overtighten 4 screws round gpu but found vram pads stuck hard in corners near screws and in CTR just peeled off easy. Also square metal around gpu, 2 opposite sides mounting foam exposed and not on others (don't remember seeing that originally but then again not that observant). Got some kyronaught on order for tomorrow along with some more pads, thought about sticking a blob of paste on CTR vrams. Just a bit concerned as I think pcb with block looked a bit bowed. Anyways, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
Only way to really know what is going on is a reading of your water temps and your water delta. Have they increased at all or has your delta remained constant? If your delta is the same and your gpu temps have increased then it will point to your gpu or gpu block. If your delta has increased then something else is going on in your loop and it could be a blockage.

If you dont have any water temp data has your cpu temps risen at all over and above the recent ambient temps? This is assuming your cpu is in the same loop as the gpu.

You mention your block has bowed, have you taken a straight edge to the block?

Associate
OP
Only way to really know what is going on is a reading of your water temps and your water delta. Have they increased at all or has your delta remained constant? If your delta is the same and your gpu temps have increased then it will point to your gpu or gpu block. If your delta has increased then something else is going on in your loop and it could be a blockage.

If you dont have any water temp data has your cpu temps risen at all over and above the recent ambient temps? This is assuming your cpu is in the same loop as the gpu.

You mention your block has bowed, have you taken a straight edge to the block?
Thanks for the reply, was going to have a closer look at the block tomorrow, getting old now even with glasses my eyes struggle to focus doing fine work for any length of time:D
Looked like acetal cover and the pcb might be bowed.
As you say, I could imagine water temp being handy. As for cpu I'm pretty lazy checking temps, been a while since I set my overclock but they didn't look bad when I checked the other day.
Blockage along with pump was my first thought, I did flush my system ready for new gpu but I used my wetvac without pump in place to shoot through 10 litres - was probably a bit violent thought I could have dislodged something. Having stripped everything down and good clean all seems good and obstruction free, just swapped my cpu block for an older one I had as oring was degrading that and using my spare pump covers it I think
Gpu I think is where the problem lies but can't find anything on the internet with temps rising over short space of time.
I think the chips dying or something's not contacting properly any more - bad Tim batch?
Tried doing as ek instructed with double cross- won't be doing that again usualy do P, lot of excess run off. First time I've ever had to remove block after fitting found it strange to find a pretty noticeable small rectangle In centre of die though. Suppose I'll find out if I got a problem soon enough when I refit the block.

Soldato
Look at the block and if its full of crud, i.e rad particles then give the rads a good clean too. I've actually had my temps rise 10c before because my top rad blocked up. Literally just take it outside put a fitting and stick my garden hosepipe on it. Then rise several times with distilled.

I've had bowed blocks before, a normal problem due to the manufacturing process with EK. As informed after I asked them. However it wont make any contact issues unless its extremely severe. I've tested this as well after i sent my bowed ones back and no change with ones which were a lot straighter.

Associate
OP
Literally just take it outside put a fitting and stick my garden hosepipe on it
Blocks clean and I gave them a short non distilled vinegar bath. Lol don't know why I didn't do this (old plumbers trick for domestic rads) just ripped out again and currently flooding the garden :D. Lot less messy this way without funnels, Charles is brilliant for flushing distilled water, dries them out at same time. As for the pcb bow good to know shouldn't affect as I wouldn't call it massively blatent. Suppose proof will be in the pudding later, thanks.

Soldato
Interested to see how you get on and what was the cause of the temp rise.

One thing you should definitely consider is investing in a water temp sensor they are IMO an essential part of the loop. I use mine to control the fans on my loop and it also let me know if anything isn't as it should be. You can get inline sensors or if you have a mulitport rad you can add a plug sensor to it.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/water-cooling/components/sensors-and-controllers

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, will definitely get a temp sensor soon, can see how would help (no excuse at those prices for cheap and cheerful one) with fault finding and save a lot of hassle. Now running heaven benchmark at max temp of 38, a whole whopping 19c cooler and on par with when I first fitted waterblock, if I had to hazard a guess my money would be on bad batch mx4 or gpu contact for whatever reason. Fingers crossed I don't see temps start to rise again!

Edit - Just found 2 of my fans on 360 not spinning (dodgy splitter cable connection), now at stock its 36c max in heaven so 21c difference:D

Last edited:
Soldato
thanks for the link,those standalone ones are dirt cheap,be ordering 2 of those :)

Your welcome mate. :)

Thanks guys, will definitely get a temp sensor soon, can see how would help (no excuse at those prices for cheap and cheerful one) with fault finding and save a lot of hassle. Now running heaven benchmark at max temp of 38, a whole whopping 19c cooler and on par with when I first fitted waterblock, if I had to hazard a guess my money would be on bad batch mx4 or gpu contact for whatever reason. Fingers crossed I don't see temps start to rise again!

Edit - Just found 2 of my fans on 360 not spinning (dodgy splitter cable connection), now at stock its 36c max in heaven so 21c difference:D

Glad to see you got it all back working as it should. :)

Back
Top Bottom