• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU Upgrade for Super Ultrawide Screen?

Soldato
Hi there,

So it has been about 2 years since I built my rig and atm I have an ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700 XT OC Edition but I now want to look to get a 49" super ultrawide monitor (Samsung G9/Neo) and have been told that my gpu won't cope.

SO I have looked at the newest GPUs (and cried at the price!!) and am confused on what one to get. I play games like Star Citizen, Battlefield 2042, Satisfactory, Timberborn etc. Now I think the Nvidia cards are above my price range tbh (do proove me wrong though!) so looking at the 6900s and I am wondering which of them you would recommend?

Thanks.

Associate
Personally I would keep the 5700XT for now and give it a go. While not ideal its still a solid enough card that with some settings tweaking you should be able to get a decent experience in most games. If you find it isn't up to the task you can upgrade it later. For the moment at least it looks like prices are coming down and supply is improving, so holding off might serve you.

Soldato
Join telegram part alert for Nvidia cards and snag one of the FE's at RRP. The 3090 hung around for a few hours if that's within your price range @ £1399

That monitor is 7/8 of 4k number of pixels and with 240hz you gonna need the top cards to get the best out of it. Though anything over 100fps is a good experience, you really want a panel with freesync which is G-sync compatible rather than just G-sync as you used to be locked to Nvidia cards.

I think at the price of that monitor I'd be going with a 48 inch LG OLED - VRR & 120hz and proper blacks for ~£1100 or even 55 inch

Unless you want curve, 240hz, and UW format specifically. And it's a good OLED TV.

Dunno how the OLED TV scene has moved on for PC gaming so I'd chack the monitor section for OLED chat if you can be swayed from the excellent G9 oddessy. And check out 'TFT central' for decent reviews.

Nvidia cards have better Ray tracing implementation currently but there is lots of chat about how valuable it is. But DLSS on Nvidia cards is very good which will help run higher resolutions and FSR on AMD cards.

Associate
Hi there,

So it has been about 2 years since I built my rig and atm I have an ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700 XT OC Edition but I now want to look to get a 49" super ultrawide monitor (Samsung G9/Neo) and have been told that my gpu won't cope.

SO I have looked at the newest GPUs (and cried at the price!!) and am confused on what one to get. I play games like Star Citizen, Battlefield 2042, Satisfactory, Timberborn etc. Now I think the Nvidia cards are above my price range tbh (do proove me wrong though!) so looking at the 6900s and I am wondering which of them you would recommend?

Thanks.
I purchased this one:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-39e-sp.html

You can even read my review on the store page, which is still completely true today. Better in fact, since drivers have given noticeable performance improvements since release.

For games like Satisfactory and Battlefield 2042 (like anyone plays this anymore) I'd suggest evaluating your CPU and memory as well. It's important to have the system feed the graphics card with data as fast as it needs, otherwise you're leaving performance on the table.

Back
Top Bottom