• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU Upgrade Options

Associate
I'm looking to upgrade my current MSI R9 290 Gaming 4G GPU to something more capable however I'm looking at options which exist without the upgrade causing a CPU bottleneck.

I currently have a AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5Ghz at 1.3V which is 24/7 stable and has been for a few years, I have it cooled with a Corsair H80i AIO.

Now I've been toying with the idea of a new build either a Ryzen 7 1700X or a Intel 7700K with an MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus graphics card however...this is where things become a little more difficult for me.

I primarily game at 1080p 60fps and I find that for the games which I play (mostly racing sims and other simulators) this resolution and frame rate is perfectly fine, I'm aware that my build ideas of either an R7 1700x or 7700k coupled with an 1080 are overkill for this, however I also have an Oculus Rift, I have to be honest and say that my current system still does a great job on low to medium settings however I want better performance in VR which is where the above systems which I have mentioned would give me a large performance bump.

But are there any other viable routes to just upgrading my GPU which will give me a suitable performance increase in VR without my CPU causing a bottleneck, I think my GPU might just be on the limit in terms of not being held back by my CPU, everything that I run does leverage the card to 100% utilisation but anything more powerful than my current R9 290, I'm not too sure about...:rolleyes:

Thoughts anyone..?

Cheers Stu.

Back
Top Bottom